LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Surfing a real sport

I'm sure there has been post about this before but i just need to blow off steam right now. My dad and I got into an argument about surfing. He seems to thing surfing is no different then just comming home after school and sleeping on my couch all day. He says in no way is surfing a sport because sports require teamwork, dedication, hardwork, and all that good stuff. This naturally got me very frusterated and just wanted to know if any body else has had similar encounters with people "dissing" surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by bodyboardNJ View Post
    I'm sure there has been post about this before but i just need to blow off steam right now. My dad and I got into an argument about surfing. He seems to thing surfing is no different then just comming home after school and sleeping on my couch all day. He says in no way is surfing a sport because sports require teamwork, dedication, hardwork, and all that good stuff. This naturally got me very frusterated and just wanted to know if any body else has had similar encounters with people "dissing" surfing.
    Your dad probably never surfed or watched one too many Hollywood movies portreying surfers as burnouts or bank robbers. Can't blame him for thinking he knows what is best for you. And in reality he probably wants what is best for you. To be a well-rounded person, in good physical condition and able to make group decisions as a team. As the father of two girls and a surfer I would rather my daughters surf over anything else. It would teach them self-reliance, good physical conditioning and focus among other things. But that's my perspective on the matter, because I surf. If I was a star football player in high school I would want my son to play football. See what I'm getting at? Listen to your dad with an open mind and try to compromise on surfing vs. an organized sport. Do both and you'll be well-rounded individual and your dad will probably opt on letting you surf more because you respect his opinion. Just .02 cents from a surf minded dad.
    Last edited by havanasand; Jan 19, 2012 at 03:18 AM.

It has most of that good stuff..

teamwork-- what about golf and tennis(singles)? They are sports and there is no "Team".
    dedication-- if you want to get good you have to practice
    hardwork-- when I come out of the water I am dead. I literally go and lay on the beach for 5 minutes before I go home.

It has everything as every other sport. Those who "diss" it most likely haven't surfed or if they have they go out on knee high waves, there isn't anything wrong with knee high waves but it's completely different from head high +, and only catch around 5-10 waves then call it a day. They don't have a passion for it. Therefore they really don't see the difficulty in trying to pull off some of those cool tricks, mainly because they have tried.

Images
    surfing - yes
    boogie boarding - no

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    surfing - yes
    boogie boarding - no
    ftw!!!!!!!

Your Pops is a dope...

Dude, don't sweat it. My pops used to say the same thing to me 30 years ago. Now he asks if I have been surfing lately, then says he thinks it's great that I still do it so many years later. He's probably intimidated by that fact that you do it, and there is some little part in him that wishes he did. Let me try to put this in a perspective that is understandable; two time combat vet-two wars (bronze star), 17 years as a cop in one of the roughest small towns on the east coast, two adult children that either graduated with honors or are still in college on the dean's list. After all that I still say one of the smartest things I ever did was surf and continue to this day, even with a pace maker. I run marathons and I still rate going out on a big stormy day higher on the cardio scale.

Sport is sport if you want to excel. You gotta keep fit to surf, and you gotta keep fit to play football or whatever else you choose to do. The difference is the fact that surfers are often not recognized for their efforts and dedication to their sports. Most folks view sports for kids as an activity you are recognized for. If you're mediocre at basketball, and you sit the bench all season yet your team wins the playoffs or whatever, you still go home with a trophy for all your hard work. If you rip your local breaks harder than any other kid in your age bracket and don't compete, you go home with water logged in your ears unless you compete and travel all over the place.

Tell your Dad to slap on a 5 mil in January and paddle-out on a head high day. After he gives-up blue faced and exhausted he will be humbled and impressed by the folks who can. My old man was a seaman for decades. He understands the power of the ocean. He thinks the folks that actually seek and ride waves that he used to avoid when being on a ship are out of their minds and brave. You Dad doesn't have a reference, unfortunately. That's too bad.

Get your dad in the water for a couple of hours and then ask him if he thinks it's a real sport when he can barely move the next day after flailing around like a kook for two hours. Then ask him how he would feel after 4+ hours in waves of consequence assuming he actually had the skills to surf.

I can see where he's coming from with the teamwork aspect, but there are a lot of sports that don't involve teamwork (as tommyjohn pointed out above) like certain track events and cross-country. Does he consider those "sports"?

Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    Get your dad in the water for a couple of hours and then ask him if he thinks it's a real sport when he can barely move the next day after flailing around like a kook for two hours. Then ask him how he would feel after 4+ hours in waves of consequence assuming he actually had the skills to surf.

I can see where he's coming from with the teamwork aspect, but there are a lot of sports that don't involve teamwork (as tommyjohn pointed out above) like certain track events and cross-country. Does he consider those "sports"?
    I would just like to say that cross-country is one of if not the most team oriented sport there is; that being said, I'll agree with certain track events to an extent but even then, the shot put counts just as much for the team as the 4x400m relay