LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barrel

friday afternoon

...can't remember. Not in the last few sessions. At least not a real "tube ride." Lots of little coverups, but no legit tube rides probably since that last big swell we had, like... a month ago??? Got a few that day.

Last one for me... Mid/late December or early January during one of those little swells we had. I can't remember which one it was specifically but it was around then. The wave was probably only nipple high or so, but it did suck out nicely.

On a related note, when do you guys feel comfortable making the statement that you were legitimately barreled? I know it differs for everyone-just curious. I'll personally make the claim when I see the lip spilling over my outside shoulder, no matter the duration. That, and you make it out. Anyone else?

I'll personally make the claim when I see the lip spilling over my outside shoulder, no matter the duration. That, and you make it out. Anyone else?
    +1...Feels weird to claim... much better when others do it for you. Gotten under a few lately but last standout... overhead hollow pitching right point... riding complete wrong board a 6'0 retro style twinzer (long story)... Late takeoff...throws over me... too fast... out run the barrel...stall... back under it and pumping for the freight train section...bout to shut down ...speed... shoot out over and the back board skipping across the water at mach 5. Before I could even say it my buddy paddling out gives me the hoot and a "nice barrel!" Awesome.

Haha, poor choice of words. Didn't mean claim in a brazzo/ASP sense (no offense), just a 'hey, that's a barrel' kind of way. Although sometimes I can't help myself personally......

And Stranded I can't tell if you're talking about a wave somewhere in Micronesia or elsewhere, but I'm jealous regardless.

Anyway here's me after my last good one:

/not really me
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'll personally make the claim when I see the lip spilling over my outside shoulder, no matter the duration. That, and you make it out.

You said it.

Last monday I got on a little rib high peak that got hollow on me. I was in it long enough to get a view of the water shooting over my head and then narrowly escaped before gently it bit down. Im definitely ready for something bigger.

I guess you could say having a section of lip fold over you for a fraction of a second is a barrel... I mean, you actually were inside the wave... I guess. But then does pulling into a closeout and punching through the curtain count too? How about punching out the back? How about backdooring a peak? How about weaving through a long tube... threading the needle... for like, 40 yards, then catching a rail and falling? What's the difference between a coverup and a barrel? Does it have to be dry? Does a head dip count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dwijmttX2w

So wrong... on so many levels.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Jan 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthjettyBill View Post
    Erock !! Where you been, dude? What, are you sore at me or something? GAWD.......
    Work, man. Work. /Additional characters so post is not too short/

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    I guess you could say having a section of lip fold over you for a fraction of a second is a barrel... I mean, you actually were inside the wave... I guess. But then does pulling into a closeout and punching through the curtain count too? How about punching out the back? How about backdooring a peak? How about weaving through a long tube... threading the needle... for like, 40 yards, then catching a rail and falling? What's the difference between a coverup and a barrel? Does it have to be dry? Does a head dip count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dwijmttX2w

So wrong... on so many levels.
    This is the discussion I'm talking about. Where do you guys draw the line? For me, it goes: 1. barrel, 2. head dip, 3. everything else (for purposes of this discussion). For it to be a barrel, I'd say you've got to see the inside of the lip and be there for more than a few moments. A head dip to me is anything less than that where you've still managed to find yourself deep in the pocket and under the lip as it begins to spill, but not for any kind of duration. Anything else, not in the discussion.

Is backdooring a peak a barrel? - Sometimes? Depends on the wave and what kind of line you take. There's definitely a good chance of getting barreled.

Pulling into a closeout and punching out the back - I would say no.
    Pulling into a closeout and escaping out the front - Another maybe. Depends on your definition of a closeout? If it closes out right off the takeoff, I would say that it wasn't a barrel.

Threading the needle for 40 yds then falling - Yes. I guess it boils down to being deep enough and in there long enough for me.

There's definitely a lot of grey area, and these are just how I would call them. I guess I think about this kind of thing because I have a friend who doesn't shut up about how barreled he got after every other session. I've since stopped calling him out and just kind of let him have it now. I mean if it feels like a barrel to him that's all that matters, right?