LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

Miki Dora was correct......

Shoot, I reckon most people on here have never even heard of Miki Dora. Anyway, even though I don't condone the methods he used to fund his lifestyle and the way he treated some people along the way, Miki Dora was the greatest American to have ever lived. He saw it all, and let us know about it 60 years ago. Ironically he helped create the madness that he so despised.

Complex people may appreciate that contradiction.

He saw what the commercialization and professionalism would do to this lifestyle. With the growth of the suburbs, the post World War II financial boom, the rise of credit, etc, Dora saw the effects that over population would have in a world of finite resources. The world's population has more than tripled in the last century. Most of it occuring in the last 60 years. Do people go on far out surf trips for the actual waves or to escape the crowds?

Surfing has declined from a life on the fringes - of adventure, connection to nature, purism - to a commercialized, "buy my boardshorts" mentality with d-bags like me arguing with morons like Ihatelongboarders on a friggin computer. Surfing used to be a life's dedication. Now corporate lawyers pull up to Philadelphia Ave in Sea Girt, hop on their cell phones to tell their other elite friends that the surf is cranking......scheduling a nooner. A once noble pursuit, secretley admired by the stuffy, now has become a hobby for yuppie types who treat it like tennis.

Hopefully the non-comitted will move on to other fads, after they see some movie glorifying something else. HA, there goes half of this website's participants.The "Spicoli" stereotype still exists but it really isn't represenatative of today's surfing populace. Oh sure, there are still a lot of less intelligent types in surfing. That hasn't changed - just scan these boards. Many of the people on here never post a message over two sentences, and it's usually just four or five words. It's easy to be "liked" when you are basically a non-factor...a forgetable, nameless, nothing, lost in the masses.

The people who stand out are the Miki Doras of the world. Those with the foresight, intelligence and soul to look at the world and say, "Hold on.....this is not right." People with the courage to stand out from the average joe and speak the truth no matter how unpopular it may be. Everything Dora predicted has come true. Look around you....at the state of the world....at the state of surfing. It's actually worse than he imagined. I don't think Dora saw the rise of technical gadgets dumbing down our society even further. Oil helped create this modern lifestyle, and when it dries up, it will be the catalyst for the destuction of the life we know. Just like Miki Dora - he helped create something he hated. Don't you love the irony?

ironically SJB is the sorta of guy Dora would of beat up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatelongboarders View Post
    ironically SJB is the sorta of guy Dora would of beat up.
    Ummm forgot to say this....Dora wasn't really known for "beating people up." And I hate to break this to you, Ihatelongboarders, he most likely wouldn't have any problems with my personality. He probably wouldn't like dudes on the computer who cry about characters on an internet site. Do you really think he'd gravitate towards you instead of me? Really? Sorry but I don't think so. Yeah sorry, I'm not the type he "beat up."

Do some of you guys think you're popular on here or something? A few of you think you're liked on here or something. You post a few words here and there....no one remembers anything you say......you're irrelevant, you contribute nothing(good or bad), you're a non-issue. You come out of hiding when you see an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon.....to bond with someone....you're followers.......Dudes, give it up.

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    i really miss gruvii more. this southjettybill guy is getting crazy, at least with gruvii he was more funny.

[IMG]Dora would hate me. but its cool. i love him.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DKennedy View Post
    [IMG]Dora would hate me. but its cool. i love him.
    is that a strike anywhere sweat shirt? that band blows

Dora

Just go surf and be real, goons will be exposed.

you guys aren't getting it! despite his influence, negative image, etc., ....when he surfed point breaks, he had the "coolest of the cool" style of longboard surfing! Ever!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wbsurfer View Post
    i really miss gruvii more. this southjettybill guy is getting crazy, at least with gruvii he was more funny.
    Send a message to Gruvi. Strike up a friendship with him. Write each other letters. I am not Gruvi. I'm not trying to be Gruvi. I've read two posts from him and don't get it. Saying Mcanalbleed surfboard is what you find fuuny? Anyways, I keep getting the "SJB was funny at first but now he sucks" thing. I have only tried to be funny two or three times. I have been called the funniest person in the world by at least 15 people. I just have issues these days.

Anyway why do I get compared or have to live up to someone else when I post. Hey, WBsurfer, do you have people following you around judging every post you make.... Comparing you to others. And how was this post crazy?? Oh hey do you really know Jenelle....that's twicthen dude !!! You'll have to tell em all about her. Even though I'm not as cool as Gruvi, you are my new hero. That Jenelle is such a saucy B!@ch !!!

North East Coast of New Zealand's North Island

Cool

As the previous comments go to prove, Miki still generates controversy even ten years after his death. Speaking of which you are all cordially invited to visit the only website authorized by Miki: http://www.mikidora.com . The site will eventually contain a permanent online repository of letters, emails, faxes, photos and stories about Miki Dora, his life, his surfing and his contribution to surfing rich history. In the meantime you are also invited to take a look at the MikiDora.Com Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/MikiD...28393610615154 . Cheers, Bob Feigel (Surfwriter.net)