LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    [IMG]Dora would hate me. but its cool. i love him.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthjettyBill View Post
    I don't think Dora could be compared with locals such as the ones in Oxnard. He tended to go after people who dropped in on him. I don't think Dora's "bad boy" image compares to today's "bad boy".......the suburban white boy gangster and farm thugs. He was more anti-establishment, before anyone knew what establishment meant, than a thug.

I did mention I don't condone how he funded his life style and how he could treat people. What I admire is how he saw all of this negativity coming .....both in the surf world and the regular world. Everybody in the 50's was lost in the boom of U.S. prosperity and didn't see the writing on the wall. That their actions would some day have consequences. He saw the way the U.S. was going the way of the Romans before that idea became a fad. Yeah he could be a scumbag, but he was extremely intelligent and a classic character. Ask crazy Aussie surf journo, Derek Hynde about how far Dora's influence extended. Oh LBCrew nice Greenough reference in the style thread.

Another point is that we don't have any characters in the surf world anymore....NONE.......Jeez, try and have some fun on a surfing website and people get sore. By the way, I never did crap except when I was insulted, most of my threads were all of a serious nature. Look them up and prove me wrong....remember, besides me acting nuts when responding to retards. Emphasis on "acting." But there's my point. People screaming to ban people because they might be a little outlandish. That's who's surfing these days? People who get upset at surfing websites. Where's the individuals and the characters? Where have they gone? It's such a ME,ME,ME ME society these days.....Oh, you don't like something somebody says.....well lets get at them and throw them out of YOUR world. The more recent generations have been coddled with a "Johnny can do no wrong" attitude, which creates a generation of kids with TOO much self-esteem and attitiude and ego. But even with that upbringing, still no interseting characters. They lost their personalities in computers, video games and cell phones. How many times do you see kids actually playing pick-up games of football, street hockey, baseball etc.......I haven't seen that in years. They can't even communicate in person.....only behind a computer screen or on a phone.

Thanks for reading. Oh Ihatelongboarders ...I posted this thread and then it took a whole 8 minutes for your response. Oh I would have slaughtered Miki Dora by the way. I'm completely nuts when I see red.
    You're spot on SJB...no need to let anyone under your skin. The ultimate dis is to say nothing in reply. Keep the stoke.
    Last edited by Jai-Guru; Feb 4, 2012 at 01:51 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DKennedy View Post
    [IMG]Dora would hate me. but its cool. i love him.
    is that a strike anywhere sweat shirt? that band blows

Dora

Just go surf and be real, goons will be exposed.

you guys aren't getting it! despite his influence, negative image, etc., ....when he surfed point breaks, he had the "coolest of the cool" style of longboard surfing! Ever!

I swear I saw "DA CAT" at Taco Bell last friday night :]

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wbsurfer View Post
    i really miss gruvii more. this southjettybill guy is getting crazy, at least with gruvii he was more funny.
    Send a message to Gruvi. Strike up a friendship with him. Write each other letters. I am not Gruvi. I'm not trying to be Gruvi. I've read two posts from him and don't get it. Saying Mcanalbleed surfboard is what you find fuuny? Anyways, I keep getting the "SJB was funny at first but now he sucks" thing. I have only tried to be funny two or three times. I have been called the funniest person in the world by at least 15 people. I just have issues these days.

Anyway why do I get compared or have to live up to someone else when I post. Hey, WBsurfer, do you have people following you around judging every post you make.... Comparing you to others. And how was this post crazy?? Oh hey do you really know Jenelle....that's twicthen dude !!! You'll have to tell em all about her. Even though I'm not as cool as Gruvi, you are my new hero. That Jenelle is such a saucy B!@ch !!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jai-Guru View Post
    You're spot on SJB...no need to let anyone under your skin. The ultimate dis is to say nothing in reply. Keep the stoke.
    Thanks yo, It warms my heart to see enlightened, intelligent people on here. I have deduced that all the sissies who get chased off of other surfing sites ended up here. No, I'm not saying all y'all people so calm down. But I have never encountered such confused people before. But there's really only one particular dude I'd like to meet in a dark alley, or a sunny Atalntic City boardwalk

Ohh you know what shames me the most. The Karate Kid. A inner-city Newark or Jersey City kid(I forget) goes to Southern California and gets beat up by pretty boy Southern Californians.....on motorcycles.......pretty boys on motorcycles.I cry in shame everytime i see that flick.

I read the "All for few..." book, I guess I was looking for what the real deal was behind the Dora fascination.

After the read, I had a problem with someone burning down an apartment by being careless, then just walking away and blaming a murderous plot. Plus the paranoia and being completely untrustworthy - hard to live like that.

Great surfer, I admire that. Getting the best of some people, that's cool, but between the lines (at least in that book) he did a ton a ****ty stuff to a ton of people.

How does that make him a hero?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    I read the "All for few..." book, I guess I was looking for what the real deal was behind the Dora fascination.

After the read, I had a problem with someone burning down an apartment by being careless, then just walking away and blaming a murderous plot. Plus the paranoia and being completely untrustworthy - hard to live like that.

Great surfer, I admire that. Getting the best of some people, that's cool, but between the lines (at least in that book) he did a ton a ****ty stuff to a ton of people.

How does that make him a hero?
    Yar, I mentioned I didn't condone the way he funded his lifestyle nor how he treated peopel at times. He's surfing's original anti-hero. The flawed but celebrated protagonist.

Tell em Derek,

"Dora was a hobo royal: an orator, thinker, angle cutter. He worked harmonics of discord to a style rarely seen in populist Americana........He was foremost a deconstructor of the American dream.......He corrupted himself on Hollywood stunt work and royalities from sinature models bearing his Da Cat moniker, yet with his sense of black irony enhanced an unclassified image in the process.....Dora's postwargaragesurfcult became surfing subculture. He held rare license as Watcher and Commentator over a Rat Race largely of his own making." (Derk Hynd)

He's surfing's thinking man's character. A flawed character with an ego, yes. One who funded his shun of the system in dubious fashion. But in this time of modern, cookie-cutter existence, even in the surf world, he is a character who the disaffected embrace.

And by the way, I in NO WAY worship celebrities like the rest of the world. I can't stand that stuff. I don't idolize movie stars. But I admire Dora......Dave Paramenter's writings, Kurt Vonnegut, and Howard Stern.