LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

sizing a mini simms

thinking of getting one shaped, what dims for a 180pd 5'11 surfer? Anyone one who has a similar shape, does it work for you?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycrab View Post
    thinking of getting one shaped, what dims for a 180pd 5'11 surfer? Anyone one who has a similar shape, does it work for you?
    I'm 5'9" 160 and my mini simmons is 5'8" x 22" x 2 3/8"

Thats probably a little longer/wider than it needs to be for my size. I know most people make these boards really thick. With all that width, I know the typical 2 3/4" thickness would be way too much volume for what i like. I know "foam is your friend" is the mantra, but i think more along the lines of "foam you dont need is foam you should avoid" or something like that....

Does it work? Absolutely! There were at least 10-15 small clean days last summer that were really fun because of this mini simmons.

I'm 180 and 6'0, I ride a 5'10 and am selling it to get a 5'8.

cool leaning towards a 5' 7" but with winter gear on, maybe little bigger.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycrab View Post
    cool leaning towards a 5' 7" but with winter gear on, maybe little bigger.
    Remember to focus on getting the right width and thickness as much as length. The typical range of 21 - 22 1/2" wide or 2 3/8" - 2 7/8" thick will make WAYY more difference than 5'6" 5'8" or 5'10" does.

Also, the rocker in these boards is part of the fun. Really flat rocker (like mine) makes it fly ridiculously fast down the line but there's a tradeoff in dropping into steep waves and turning sharply. I'm sure more traditional rocker would have some performance advantages. Sounds like (from your first post) you're going to be working with a shaper on this which is a good idea.
    Last edited by mitchell; Feb 5, 2012 at 08:32 PM.

thickness 2 5/8 with twinzer fin set up. I am concerned about the rocker and dumping eastcoast waves, but seems it would work well @ A.I. waves.

Images
    i am 6'3 and used to have a 6x23x3 and it was a bit too small. it would float me, but I wasn't able to ride it in the small stuff like most do

Mine (on left) is 5'5"x22"x2 1/2" quad and it feels big (rails are pinched more than other simmons I've seen). I'm 5'10" 165lbs...I agree with Mitchell great for weak summer surf...get one for your super groveler...you wont be disappointed!

I surfed this board in full winter gear as well and didn't have any issues....

Last edited by live4truth; Feb 5, 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Images
    That thing looks sick! I'd like to get one sometime this year as well, I've seen a few guys riding them and they look so fast and just look like an all around good time. Hopefully one will pop up on Craigslist sometime that's my size.

These things are called MINI simmons....keyword mini! Im 6'2 165 and ride a 4'10 all day from knee high to head+ absolute funnest boards you can ride. In my opinion all the boards mentioned above are too big for there riders. Id go no longer than 5'2 for the original poster. Just shaped a 4'8 that i cant wait to get glassed...the 4'10 feels too big! shred da gnar.