LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trip advice..

Trip advice..

I am looking to plan a trip to either Puerto Rico or Costa Rica in the next few months. I was looking for some advice, recommendations, or experiences to help with my decision. If anyone has favorite place to go to surf, places to stay or things to watch out for, this would be my first surf trip (outside the US) and any help would be much appreciated. I am looking for something in the beginner to intermediate range and would be taking my wife. I would like to get her in the water and be able to have her give surfing a try.

If there is somewhere else that you would recommend, I'm open to suggestions
    Thanks-

First piece of advice: Don't tell your wife it is a surf trip. Although all of us here know it is.

Images
    I think Puerto Rico or Costa Rica are great first time trips. Since you are taking your wife along, then I"m assuming you'll want to do less exploring and more hoping there is surf out the front door kind of deal.

If you choose PR, then you'll prob want to stay in Rincon on the west coast. This is a fairly americanized surfer town with some cool little restaurants/bars, and plenty of good surf if the swell direction is right. You can get skunked on the west coast, so its a little risky if your not willing to take a drive up to the north coast when the west coast goes flat. The beaches are nice for your wife and its chill town.

If you go to CR, there are plenty of options, but the most logical choices are to stay in jaco/hermosa or tamorindo. Hermosa is where the surf is and Jaco is where the town/shops/restaurants are. This is where all the tico's (locals) go on vacation, but it has been known to going down hill with lots of drugs, hookers, and the sort. Outside of that, its a pretty cool town. But, for easiness sake, you might want to look at staying at a place in hermosa right in front of the surf.

The other place I'd recommend going in costa, is staying a hotel in front of playa grande in tamorindo. Playa grande is kind of a desolate place, but has a good beach break. You'll have to take a little drive in to town, but grande offers some good surf, while the rivermouth in tamorindo can be good, but usually smaller and more crowded.

Anyone know a good hotel/spa type place on the beach in Costa where I can walk out the door to surf and my girlfriend can hang by the pool and get a massage? Something classy enough to keep her happy while I surf a decent beach break.

Images
    http://www.jardindeleden.com/
    in tamarindo is pretty de-luxe...

Images

Lest you forget. . .

Puerto requires no Passport whatsoever, just money. CR requires both a Passport AND money. For what it's worth. Both places have found surfing adventurers to be the source of a very good livelihood. Don't forget to let us all know how the trip goes, where ever you go.
    By the way, the last time I heard, prostitution and houses of ill repute were completely legal in Costa Rica and El Salvador. Most of the world views it as a reasonable way to make a living, but for the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would want to patronize one, if you know what I mean. . . Like who wants to go where "Everyman" has gone before? A lot like a quality surf spot.
    Last edited by MDSurfer; Dec 11, 2007 at 04:11 AM.

Images
    hotel diria is right at the tamarindo rivermouth and it was renovated just last year.. very classy spot and its right in the town of tamarindo

Thanks for the advice!!

I appreciate the input. Like rDJ wrote, definitely looking for something that I can pretty much walk right out to, while the wife lays by the pool. Although I would like to get her to give it a try.
    I don't mind having to drive a little ways to get some surf, or at least try some other spots.
    I do it now - Baltimore to OC
    Thanks for the help!

I stayed at Las Tortugas in Playa Grande right on the main break. It's a mellow spot with a nice pool, great service, beachfront. No massages. Better surfing there than Tamarindo. It takes 45 minutes to walk to T-rindo from there(catch a boat taxi across the river for a buck) or a 45 minute drive.

Diria is the kind of place to be pampered/get a taste of luxury.-more like one of the "all inclusive" resorts you find in Cancun. Tamarindo is where all the action/commercial activity is.

Grande is my preference and my wife liked it and learned how to surf.

If you leave BWI around 6 or 7, fly to Liberia and rent a car, you can be surfing by 4 in the afternoon.

When is a good time to go?

I am looking to plan the trip for mid April? That should give me some good surf.. right?

Any thoughts on the "Surf tours" that are offered? Or would I just be better off on my own looking for a good break?