LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So a little test for Sunday, LI....

I see that two of the 3 sites I check for surf say that this sunday is to be ankle high, basically flat.
    another site says that we will get 2 to 3 foot swell. I wonder if this will translate into waves on sunday, on Long Island.
    I suppose a lot could change from now till then, especially with a small snow even passing over the area saturday....

Images
    doesn't look good man.

If you look at the wave maps, you will see what is going on with the forecasted systems. A strong N/NW flow sets in as a cold front pushes off the coast Saturday night into Sunday.

I saw you mention that in another thread... but all I see on all of the forecasts is flat on sunday.
    Last edited by brek; Feb 10, 2012 at 06:39 PM.

Hey guys, well Im just hoping to be pleasantly surprised like last weekend!
    here is what I was looking at, I hope a different surf site posting is ok here?
    looking at sunday, basically robert mosses all the way to rockaway beach
    http://www.surfline.com/surf-spots-b...-new-york_2146
    Last edited by MFitz73; Feb 10, 2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: location

yeah, sorry to be bursting your bubble. The 2-3 ft seems based on there being a 3ft @ 4s WNW swell. I don't know LI, but I would be very suspicious of seeing any of that swell actually breaking on a beach. Hope things change for you (and the rest of us) though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    yeah, sorry to be bursting your bubble. The 2-3 ft seems based on there being a 3ft @ 4s WNW
    Good call Brek...isnt Robert Moses basically SSE facing? That 1 p.m. sunday forecast is crazy...How can you get 4 foot surf on a SSE facing beach out of 4'@ 4 sec WNW swell?

Thats why i like Swellinfo data plots so much...Micah filters out the wind swells at each location that basically amount to out-to-sea wind chop.

Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    yeah, sorry to be bursting your bubble.
    stop ruining my life!!! lol. kidding ofcourse.

Images
    What Mitchell was saying... If you are looking at state of the ocean at a given point in the open ocean, then you have to keep in min the swell direction, frequency, and magnitude of each individual swell. If you have a 4ft wind swell, going away from the ocean, then you get nothing...

SwellInfo, I see. I did think it would be little wierd for the system pushing away from the shoreline to sendback waves... But there will be energy passing over the area, and Im itching for some surf.. so maybe there will be some sort of refracting element based on the ocean surface off of long island! lol.
    we can hope right???? but looking at it the wind will be pretty strong too so even if we have waves it might be a mess...

Images
    If you make it a habit to look at the wave maps, you will start to understand more and more how the storm path influences waves at your beach. That is the first thing I check, the wave maps...