LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    http://kehayaphoto.com http://www.southendsurf.com/
    Images

Swollen Hands / Cold water issues

Hey,

Being the middle of winter I wanted to see what everyone thinks the best way to prevent hand swelling is?

In case you have no idea what I am talking about, it's that thing where you surf in cold water and your hands get super cold. When you hop in the shower after the session they swell up like evil red sausages that itch and burn like crazy. Same thing happens to feet.

The only thing that ever worked for me was to just sit around in my wetsuit, after the session was over, in a warm place until my body aclimated to a warmer environment. usually takes about 10 to 20 minutes. Then I can hop in the shower without any swelling. That kinda sucks when you are cold and tired and just want a hot shower.

Any good strategies out there?

kooook. get soe better gloves, get come coffee afterwards, or man up. thats it

Better (thicker) gloves ,boots, possibly suit. Change out in shower rinsing your suit and warming up at the same time. (start with cool water). Understand your body's limitations when it comes to cold water. What your experiencing is mild frostbite, and you do damage to your hands and feet every time this happens. Cutting a good session short because of cold can suck for sure, but use of your hands and feet in the future is pretty important too.

Images
    don't warm them up too fast

Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    Was it super necessary to call the guy a kook or tell him to "man up?" You could've left it at "get soe better gloves" and you might've actually been helpful! What a strange concept, right!?

wb and you can find me at crystal and sweetwater and all over wb.
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    dude just so you kahuna is not a kook. his photography which he does under kehaya photo is amazing.

take a couple of Aleves right after you get out of the water

yo ive never had that problem and these are the gloves that i use. theyre the body glove vapor claw. ive been using them since winter 2008 theyre not was warm as they use to be but im still comfortable when i wear them. the first winter i used them, after removing them, steam would come out and there would be hot water inside the glove.

i dont plan on buying gloves any time soon but when i do im prob gonna buy another pair exactly like the ones i have. here is a link to see them on wetsuit warehouse

http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page...gloves/111-496

Images
    ya.. I have the same issue while wearing 5mil 5 finger gloves while kitesurfing.. once heard it helps to wear disposable hospital gloves, havent tried it tho. a thin battery powered mini heater (think glove warmers) would be sweeeet.. wonder if this would help...

7 mil dry lock mittens hands will be dry and sweating