LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by surfingboy65 View Post
    yeah i would never think about bringing my phone into the water. I normally try to ignore as many texts and calls before i go surfing. Surfing is a way to escape reality
    As these cases get better and their reliability becomes established, for better or for worse, they're going to become common. By common, I mean just as ubiquitous as cell phones are out of the water now. Iíve only worn mine over this last weekend and I havenít hooked it up to a data carrier (I just donít wanna give up my droid); so itís acting solely as an MP3 player while I put it through its paces. I got a lot of different looks while I was out, the ol boys, includiní my Father-In-Law gave me the "By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes" look. Cats in their 20ís and 30ís looked curious, but didnít blink; but you know who was absolutely salivating over this thing, every gremmie out there. I could see it in their beady, little eyes, they coveted this little number. That tells me all I gotta know, the kids want Ďem. Theirs is a generation that have been tied to cell/smart phones from pre-pubescence. For better or worse, this genieís out of the bottle and it ainít goin back in. These things are here to stay, better steel yourself to it. One big plus, if youíre like me and have to wear ear plugs because youíre prone to ear infection, at least thereís music to listen to now. I remember the first GoPro mount I ever saw, I thought it was the dumbest, damn thing Iíd ever seen and that the novelty would wear off soon. Hoo boy, was I wrong.

Luckily, right now the cost is prohibitive. 60$ headphones, a 60$ or thereabouts case, another 60$ for the armband to keep it on (damn things too small!); then thereís the replacement cost of the phone itself when or if it becomes water damaged. So the 180-200$ initial cost plus the potential for the cost of a whole new phone, is going to keep a lot of people from using this tech, for a while anyway. That price point will inevitably come down. The early adopters will be people who need to be (or think that they need to be) in contact no matter what. Think Dr.ís, traders and lawyers Š la cellies in the early 90ís. Police, EMTs and firefighters might also be early benefiters, donít really know enough about how all that works to say one way or another. DBAís or Sys Admins are going to be getting on these with a fierceness. Thatís why Iím digginí on it. My office has called my wife reporting an issue Ďcause Iím surfiní and not answering my phone (luckily the CEO surfs too, so we have a pretty good work culture) and she has stood on the cliffs above my break, hootin and hollerin and waving her arms until I paddled in. That only happened once, but boy she was a little put out. A happy wife is good thing. In the long run though, itíll be like everywhere else, everybody yakkiní on their phone or updatiní their Facebook status in between sets. Sorry man, at least thereís a lot more breaks without cell coverage than there are with it.

Come gather rouní people, where ever you roam
    And admit that the waters around you have grown
    And accept it that soon youíll be drenched to the bone
    If your time to you is worth saving
    Then you better start swimming or sink like a stone
    ĎCause the times they are a changiní
    ~ Dylan
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Sep 18, 2012 at 10:52 PM.

You actually can mount it to your surfboard, life proof sells a mount for the case that allow you to mount it to a go pro mount which mounts to your surfboard

Quote Originally Posted by Zman9398 View Post
    You actually can mount it to your surfboard, life proof sells a mount for the case that allow you to mount it to a go pro mount which mounts to your surfboard
    why would anyone want to do that? There must be less costly ways to look like an idiot.

weak.
    if you want to shoot, then get a gopro or water housing
    and make something worth seeing.
    but a phone? really?

BE HERE NOW, **** your phone

i have to call -1 on this concept. the last thing we need is more kooks in the lineup with their phones. listening to music, shooting video, or even worse texting. go pros are bad enough.... surfing is one of the last remaining respites we have from all such distractions. this is not progress, it is regression...
    Last edited by 15stwr; Sep 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM.

Just to put my responses in perspective, I love technology, I work with it, Iíve been a fan of it since I took apart my first transistor radio (never did get the darn thing back together) so I do have a bias. I think that all of these responses are very valid, but Iím going to play Devilís advocate and offer some differing opinions. That being said, thereís a time and a place for everything, when itís boominí and hairy and you do need to be here now, if some goon out in the lineup whoís got a prime real estate, is texting one second, then turns and tries to get some, well you snooze you lose. Donít drop your phone. One big benefit of this is, people more focused on their phone than the swell, well theyíre gonna get snaked and theyíre either gonna figure out real quick why theyíre not getting any or they wonít. Iíd like to think that most people have sense not to take their phone out in decent waves; but Iím a realist so thereís no hope of that.

Quote Originally Posted by South Bethany View Post
    why would anyone want to do that? There must be less costly ways to look like an idiot.
    The first thought that springs to mind, minimizing the number of electronic devices one has to manage. I have no idea how much a GoPro costs, I have no interest in buying one or shooting home surf movies from the perspective of either the nose of my board or looking up at my crotch, but I do know that most of the current generation of smart phones being sold in the US are capable of shooting really good quality pictures and video, some up to 12MP. Personally, Iíll never buy another camcorder or digital camera again in my life, why would Iím not a pro-photg and I have both in my pocket already. I havenít done the math, but buying one device that suits many needs sounds cheaper than buying a separate device capable of performing only one task.

Quote Originally Posted by steelwave42 View Post
    weak.
    if you want to shoot, then get a gopro or water housing
    and make something worth seeing.
    but a phone? really?

BE HERE NOW, **** your phone
    If the phone is taking video, it is a camcorder. If it is mounted in the same spot as your GoPro, whatís the difference between the two things? I canít perceive one. Thatís like saying a Canon is a camera, but a Nikon is not.

Quote Originally Posted by 15stwr View Post
    i have to call -1 on this concept. the last thing we need is more kooks in the lineup with their phones. listening to music, shooting video, or even worse texting. go pros are bad enough.... surfing is one of the last remaining respites we have from all such distractions. this is not progress, it is regression...
    I am in agreement with you on all points except for one, ď. . . listening to musicĒ. I have to wear earplugs, Iím prone to ear infections. I lost about 75% of the hearing in my left ear due to surfing during a red tide and the subsequent infection. So between that and the earplugs and playiní drums and the guitar, I canít hear jack when Iím out in the lineup. I can barely hear the waves. I sure donít talk to other people out there. It just turns into me politely nodding dumbly, pretending to hear them. However, I throw on a pair of head phones and turn Ďem way up, I can hear the music. On a little day, with lots of time between sets whatís wrong with that? I have to keep the water out of my ears anyway. Having tried it a couple of times, I gotta tell ya, surfing at sunset to the sounds of ďStairway to HeavenĒ or Aaron Nevilleís rendition of ďAve MariaĒ isnít distracting, it kicks a$$ and itís a he77 of a lot better than the wall of deafness Iím accustomed to. If it ainít affectiní you personally, whatís the damage pardner?

I donít think the surfing community at large takes to change very well. Just look at the response that the advent of fiberglass boards, wet suits, then leashes, professional surfing, then short boards, then the re-emergence of the longboard, tow-in surfing, CNCíd blanks and Chinese made boards, soft-top and finally SUPs elicited from the community at first. Everyone of them was met initially with skepticism, disdain or outright hostility; but the people who dug Ďem kept using them and theyíre all still here. Some of Ďem we like, some of Ďem we hate; but none of Ďem are going anywhere.

i have a life proof case, i have never taken it surfing but my friends have taken theres they say it works perfectly and they got cool footage but if they dropped their phoen while paddling (paddles with it in their mouth) they would have been screwed, i personally love the case, its water resistent but you must test it first and make sure you follow the correct instructions i also feel that you can not keep taking the case on and off because it ruins the case and does not allow it to close all the way. The case is really durable i keep it snowboarding with me all the time and the countless times my phone as been slammed against a rail for landing badly or wiping out of a jump but its super study, defiently worth the purchase, i just feel bringing your iphone in the ocean is super risky.

I want one too! donations?..