LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
    Everyone can agree on a couple things.

Forecasting (72+ hrs out) is damn near impossible to nail.

SI is much better than magic seaweed.

We are all frustrated with the lack of swell this winter, and not all of us have the financial luxury to travel extensively. I dont think any of us are hating on the site (at least im not) but it does seem that the forecast have become less accurate. Don't get me wrong, "tings change" (so are the words of a surfing buddy of mine) but it seems that "tings change" a little too dramatically in the forecast. Example, I was looking on the SI app, and the buoy 41036 was reading 7.9 ft sse @ 9 sec. This was very recently. I'd say in the past week or so. After seeing that I flipped on the cam at my spot and it was flatter than kansas. Please don't think I'm complaining about SI, I'm just wondering what would cause the discrepency. I'm just making an observation and giving my 2 cents (which probably isn't worth that).

We've had a wave starved (no, famined) winter and I'm ready just like the rest of everyone to paddle out. This knee high bs has got to stop.

I think we should sacrifice a baby goat and a never ridden off the shelf al merrick stick, but that's just my opinion
    couldn't agree more whitewater. forecasting, especially far in advance, is tough. and forecasting these little bs storms that we depend on in the winter is even harder. hurricane season is a different breed than the dribble of swell during the winter months.

MSW doesn't hold a candle to Swellinfo when it comes to accuracy. then again, no one source will ever give you all the info. i'm sure anyone who is in tune with their spot can agree with that.

glad to hear from some people on this thread. its good to know i'm not the only one who's having a miserable time as of late

FWIW... toward the end of the week is looking MUCH more promising than the last "swell that wasn't" ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    FWIW... toward the end of the week is looking MUCH more promising than the last "swell that wasn't" ever did.
    thanks for jinxing it.

Here's how to use the long range forecast.

I check SwellInfo for the long range forecast (5-7days out) and see if there is anything for the weekend or anytime I have off. If there are waves and decent winds I tell my wife (way in advance) and get everything she would make me do that day done earlier in the week. That way there are no social or family events which for me can kill a swell faster than on-shore winds.

The night before and/or day of I check Swellinfo and the cams then decide if it's worth the drive down.

I learned real quick depending at those long range forecasts is a recipe for letdown.

thanks for the tutorial on how to use the long range forecast HurryCane I was very confused about it. What you are doing is getting your ducks in a row and using a little bit of common sense. I understand it's tough being an inland surfer, but you can always move.

Fortunately for me I have the luxury of rolling out of bed and walking across the street. A lot of guys on here have that luxury as well, but some don't (as in your case).
    Last edited by whitewater; Feb 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM.

Today had stomach sets from the south and was glassy till 3. Perfect lines and one or two heads out. Very high wave count. Tomorrow should be the day. 10-3 funnnnnnnn.

Quote Originally Posted by wontonwonton View Post
    Today had stomach sets from the south and was glassy till 3. Perfect lines and one or two heads out. Very high wave count. Tomorrow should be the day. 10-3 funnnnnnnn.
    great size and condition. caught it from 12-2 prime time i saw it got choppy afterwards. but yeah the wave count today in mon. con. sets were super consistent...got 7 good rides during the first ten min in the ocean. STOKED

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by staystoked View Post
    great size and condition. caught it from 12-2 prime time i saw it got choppy afterwards. but yeah the wave count today in mon. con. sets were super consistent...got 7 good rides during the first ten min in the ocean. STOKED
    Days like today when I'm at work and can't stop watching the cams make me wish I could just drop everything and grab a session whenever. Tomorrow will be the same for me, hopefully the wind cooperates for Friday when I can finally get out.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WBncSurf View Post
    Dude i feel the exact same way wtf. swell info changes their forecast every 10 minutes. i'm bout to start using sufline
    Actually the more often the forecast changes the more often you can reload it, full of hope. It's like playing the slot machines...

Stop it..

Figure it out. NJ was mucho bueno today, surfline and swell said it was gonna be flat. Read the winds swell in the H2O, and pray for waves mate. Take a trip to PR it's pumping. No worries Puras Vida Baby... Breathe man Breathe. YOGA!