LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Mellow Place for a Beginner into Intermediate

For April -May 15th I can live anywhere and I want to take up surfing. What would you guys recommend considering the following:

1. I'll be able to surf every day so I really want to minimize the number of consecutive days without decent waves.

2. I really don't want to have to drive all over; I'd like to be able to walk to the beach and then no more than a couple miles up or down the coast.

3. I'm a fast learner when it comes to these things so a place where an intermediate would be satisfied with.

4. I kind of gather that the surfing culture can be a little more ****ish than the skiing and dhmtb cultures that I'm used to so definitely a place that isn't notorious for that. And not too incredibly busy on weekdays at least.

5. I'm not stuck on Florida, I'll go anywhere but when I used to do triathlons I always had a hard time with cold water so probably not CA in April.

I know that's a lot but I'm a pretty analytical guy. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Florida can be kinda inconsistent. If you're looking at continental US, CA would be a much better choice for consistent surf IMO. It definitely is localized in places, but many of those are places you will want to avoid as a beginner. Do your homework on spots, understand the etiquette, etc.

If you are not limited to the US, I definitely think you should check out Costa Rica. Lots of warm water breaks that are great for beginners.

Re: cold water, have you worn a modern wetsuit? With the right suit, cold water is not that big of a deal (and trust me, I am a real wuss about cold water).

DMCO for sure

what's "DMCO"?

Thanks tonylamont that helps. Yeah, I had a wetsuit for triathlons and I still couldn't handle cold water but then again I had to put my face underwater for that...

What is the "dhmtb" culture?

And I would def check out Hawaii if I was you

Images
    How about Lake Michigan or the Mississippi River or South Bill Jetty's Kiddie Pool!!!

PR rocks

PR can satisfy all your requirements check out www.vrbo.com #214129 I own it rent it for cheap and it includes surfboards best deal on the island

Quote Originally Posted by neptunehui View Post
    PR can satisfy all your requirements check out www.vrbo.com #214129 I own it rent it for cheap and it includes surfboards best deal on the island
    Nice! I PM'd you for more info...

Quote Originally Posted by mbs05c View Post
    What is the "dhmtb" culture?
    dhmtb - down hill mountain biking

SoCal, def. not anywhere on the east coast, this is just misery I'm going through.

Images
    Costa has some friendly waves and some advanced ones too. Hawaii is for advanced surfers period (except Waikiki).

ps. dhmtb,imo,dmco; I have no clue what your abbreviating because I'm dumb.