Best Mellow Place for a Beginner into Intermediate
For April -May 15th I can live anywhere and I want to take up surfing. What would you guys recommend considering the following:
1. I'll be able to surf every day so I really want to minimize the number of consecutive days without decent waves.
2. I really don't want to have to drive all over; I'd like to be able to walk to the beach and then no more than a couple miles up or down the coast.
3. I'm a fast learner when it comes to these things so a place where an intermediate would be satisfied with.
4. I kind of gather that the surfing culture can be a little more ****ish than the skiing and dhmtb cultures that I'm used to so definitely a place that isn't notorious for that. And not too incredibly busy on weekdays at least.
5. I'm not stuck on Florida, I'll go anywhere but when I used to do triathlons I always had a hard time with cold water so probably not CA in April.
I know that's a lot but I'm a pretty analytical guy. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Florida can be kinda inconsistent. If you're looking at continental US, CA would be a much better choice for consistent surf IMO. It definitely is localized in places, but many of those are places you will want to avoid as a beginner. Do your homework on spots, understand the etiquette, etc.
If you are not limited to the US, I definitely think you should check out Costa Rica. Lots of warm water breaks that are great for beginners.
Re: cold water, have you worn a modern wetsuit? With the right suit, cold water is not that big of a deal (and trust me, I am a real wuss about cold water).