LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    chincoteague, va
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    you are ignorant about both board design and wave anatomy but anyway so if thats your context for understanding this topic, then ask yourself, how many of the "best riders" come from NJ and/or spend a considerable amount of water time here in NJ?

    How did you conjure that out of my post? Oh, so any WRV rider that surfs Indo has no business taking their board there? If I'm surfing Byron bay I should only surf shapes made around Byron bay? Your logic is flawed. The best riders spend time everywhere, (including NJ), if shapers had to shape boards that were so dialed in for one break, they wouldn't make any money...

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    3,161
    Quote Originally Posted by jchafard View Post
    So by your guidelines my next car should be a Daewoo or Pontiac rather than a Mercedes or a Toyota because less people drive them? Seems like a good strategy to me! Not once have I even hinted at saying I follow a magazine's trends but It doesn't take a genius to realize the mags show, and lots of people ride Channel Islands for a reason-- quality. I have own and viewed many glass weights of many boards. Sadly, glass weight is only half the factor for durability. Merricks are cured for about 30 days before you can even think about pulling it off the rack, custom or no. So why not have the best of both worlds?

    Sounds like someones a little butthurt defensive about some sub-par shaper they like to ride because they're 200 dollars cheaper-- remember, Toyota, or Pontiac?


    Oh yes I love Hollister clothing. Immense observation and original wit you made up on your own there...I'm sure that remark isn't overused. Oh... yeah it is. I feel sorry for the fact you had to lower yourself to talk about clothing-- now I really know what kind of person you are. "Let me wear my 'I surf' shirt to the store!" Who said anything about clothing?

    hey man to each his own. if you want follow the trend far be it from me to stand in your way. The point about clothing is obviously lost on you. Hollister is all about trends. being told what to wear since it's 'cool'...much like CI boards.

  3. #43
    does it really matter that much what you ride? Its how you ride not what you ride. fifty years ago guys were riding twenty foot waves on 15 foot planks of wood with no fins wetsuits or leashes.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    MB 07750
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by jchafard View Post
    How did you conjure that out of my post? Oh, so any WRV rider that surfs Indo has no business taking their board there? If I'm surfing Byron bay I should only surf shapes made around Byron bay? Your logic is flawed. The best riders spend time everywhere, (including NJ), if shapers had to shape boards that were so dialed in for one break, they wouldn't make any money...
    Go to any surf shop in NJ and look at most of the inventory then sort of calibrate that with the skill level and access to quality surf of their customer base and you will likely come up with a big imbalance. Most local surfers in my opinion are not out there acting like sheep paying extra for a brand they see in mags and videos, my guess is its more of a case of them wildly over-estimate both their ability and their access to good waves and the surf industry and surf shops (wisely) exploits this. don't get me wrong, I'm not calling foul on that, they're there to make a profit and put food on their family's tables first and foremost.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    chincoteague, va
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Go to any surf shop in NJ and look at most of the inventory then sort of calibrate that with the skill level and access to quality surf of their customer base and you will likely come up with a big imbalance. Most local surfers in my opinion are not out there acting like sheep paying extra for a brand they see in mags and videos, my guess is its more of a case of them wildly over-estimate both their ability and their access to good waves and the surf industry and surf shops (wisely) exploits this. don't get me wrong, I'm not calling foul on that, they're there to make a profit and put food on their family's tables first and foremost.
    This still makes little sense. So NJ shops carry mostly step-ups and guns? Skill level is decided by what? Airs and slashes? Wave height? Paddling and popping up? Just because someone can't launch off a lip they're not skilled enough to ride a 5'11 tri-fin and should be riding thick and wide fun shapes?

    And making a profit? Do you realize how little shops make on board sales? It wouldn't be enough to pay the bills, I'll tell you that much. MAYBE 100-150 profit margin per board.

    Besides, your argument has nothing to do with the fact that I stated CI boards are well-made quality surfboards...

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,408
    Images
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by jchafard View Post
    I guess 90% of surfboards should just stay over there and we should all ride WRVs, Wynns and garage shapes. The majority of the best riders in the world ride Channel Islands for a reason...and ride them in many more places than California.
    2 for 2! two sentences in a row with ignorant statements.

    There are dozens of east coast shapers making great boards. You dont have to pick WRV, Wynn, or some guy whos made 10 boards in his garage. Being from Delmarva you should especially know that...Chincoteague is like 45 minutes from Jon Ashton who has been making sick boards for 40 years.

    The majority of the best riders ARENT riding any one brand. Not CI, not any other. That statement defies comprehension.

    By the way, I actually agree with you that several of the CI shapes are good boards for around here, and for that matter everywhere else, but so are loads of east coast shapers.
    Last edited by mitchell; Mar 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,348
    Images
    23
    I liked Heritage in OC for it's used board / longboard supply, surfer's supplies definetly is the best overall and 7th st is just over priced crap. However, I didn't enjoy a few of Heritage's employees, one guy that looks like Bill Murray, and this 40ish manly chick can have some pretty nasty attitudes at times.

    Down here I like freedom surf (nice that it's a 2 min drive from my apartment). Austin Surfboards makes some nice stuff but they sell just surfboards, not really a shop per se. WRV shop is stupid. Their employees are litterally stupid. The other shops don't really sell boards besides a few LOST or chinese boards and mostly sell all clothing.

  8. #48
    Lightly Salted Surf Mercado in Asbury Park, NJ. Not as big as some of the other shops around but it definitely has a cool selection and good artwork. Plus, always friendly vibes going around and it's right on the ocean. Couldn't ask for anything more!

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chadwick
    Posts
    1,317
    lightly salted labrador has that supercool and groovy fake hippie vibe for sure.all surfers gotta eat,so let's squeeze every last dollar out of them and all poser kooks and phony hippies with our surf-themed food establishments and phony hippie surf shops.glide,dude bro,friendly vibes,the surf 'culture'

  10. #50
    Hands down Chauncey's in Ocean City, MD.
    Anyone who says K-Coast is a kook. (I actually think that may be what the K stands for)
    Last edited by Brode; Mar 2, 2012 at 01:54 AM.