LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Rusty Hustler or Rusty piranah?? Need help

    So I've been surfing for about two years and I ride a 6'4 merrick flyer f. I have no problem getting up. I want to get something smaller for the start of the summer because the 6'4 is too big to cut back. I cant decide on the hustler or piranah for New Jersey's choppy surf. Should I get the 5'10 or 6'0 and what board? I'm leaning towards the hustler for the quad option. Im about 6 foot and weigh around 170. Thanks

  2. #2
    I'm kinda doing some self-promoting here but I'm selling a 6'0" Fred Rubble and I think it'd be perfect for you if your looking to have one all-purpose board. Check my listing on craigslist and I have it posted on this forum as well. Let me know if your interested.

    http://southjersey.craigslist.org/spo/2871198534.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crystal Coast,N.C.
    Posts
    399
    Images
    24
    Talk to a shaper and get a custom you'll be much happier.......Both boards you're looking at have nice shapes but are hard paddlers..... If you get either you better eat your Wheaties

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In a state of flux
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by wave1rider65 View Post
    Talk to a shaper and get a custom you'll be much happier.......Both boards you're looking at have nice shapes but are hard paddlers..... If you get either you better eat your Wheaties
    What he said

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Berlin MD
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by wave1rider65 View Post
    Talk to a shaper and get a custom you'll be much happier.......Both boards you're looking at have nice shapes but are hard paddlers..... If you get either you better eat your Wheaties
    Agree on the local shaper advice, but at the same time curious why you think the Piranha would be a hard paddler. It looks pretty full volumed and the 6'0" stock width is 20", 2.5" thick.

    Seems like it ought to paddle pretty well.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Carolina Beach
    Posts
    852
    Images
    1
    The 6'4" isn't too big to cutback, you just have to get the technique down which takes time. I would say stick with what you have for a little while and just keep working at it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crystal Coast,N.C.
    Posts
    399
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Agree on the local shaper advice, but at the same time curious why you think the Piranha would be a hard paddler. It looks pretty full volumed and the 6'0" stock width is 20", 2.5" thick.

    Seems like it ought to paddle pretty well.



    Good catch.......Should have said the epoxy versions are hard paddlers. Thats the only one I have experience with. Friend of mine is a die hard Rusty rider and he likes the Epoxy boards but he doesnt catch alot of waves with them. They ride to high on the surface and just dont push through the water well to me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crystal Coast,N.C.
    Posts
    399
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    The 6'4" isn't too big to cutback, you just have to get the technique down which takes time. I would say stick with what you have for a little while and just keep working at it.
    So true and solid advice.

  9. #9
    Thanks everyone for the help. Getting a custom would be out of my price range. I might just go with RobG's advice and stick it out

  10. #10
    You may think a custom is out of your range but I'd talk to a local shaper before you jump to conclusions. Check out Brian Wynn, he'd probably work with you. Especially in comparison to buying a new Rusty that's probably gonna run you around $600.