LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Generating the speed & going to the air

What are some tips and guidelines that you would like to share with other surfers about generating speed and getting the air?

honestly, I've tried to help people with lots of threads like this, but me nor anyone on this thread can really type anything that will change your whole outlook on airs.

I just watch videos and study everything the pros do. especially dane. watch every vid on his blog very intently. thats the best way to learn. www.marinelayerproductions.com

Images
    I agree, I see a wider stance change during the air process at times. AKA currently in the quik pro right now.

Images
    I'm not gonna go into generating speed and what not. If you're doing airs, you already know how to generate speed. Pay attention to the wind and it's direction. It can be critical in attempting airs.

watch videos of guys you think have good style. watch how they set up for the maneuver and what they do beforehand, whatever it may be. that's usually where the answers are

Generating speed is by pumping... either short, rapid pumps driving off the fins and flex of the board, or big climb-and-drop pumps using gravity and down-the-line wave energy. The faster you go, the higher/further you'll go in the air, but you can still pop off the lip without going that fast, which is how you can start to learn. Start your turn no further down that at the bottom of the wave... not out on the flats. If you're not going that fast, you can take a more vertical line up into the lip... the faster you're going, the more horizontal your line to the top of the wave can be. Aim for a section of vertical lip and time it just right. Like any good turn, start with your shoulders and let your hips follow, then feet. Develop a sense of where the board is under your feet, because you'll loose contact more often than not. Wind direction and strength are key... as said above. Good luck.

Visualize and practice.

Images
    The problem I seem to have had is when look at the air section and aim my board to go towards it, I never actually get the launch.

But, practice makes perfect. You guys had some sick tips.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPREME View Post
    I agree, I see a wider stance change during the air process at times. AKA currently in the quik pro right now.
    now... I have never done an air on a surboard but I do believe that the mechanics are very similar to doing an olly on a skateboard. on a skateboard, your stance is closer, meaning your feet are closer together then normally would be. then after you slam the tail on the ground, your front foot is dragging the skateboard upwards. resulting in a wider stance while in the air and landing.
    Im guessing that these surfers are dragging thier front foot upward along the surfboard to help raise it higher.
    But like I said I have never even tried getting an air on a surboard, but I might now. lol.

I think of it as... there's an ollie type air and a ramp type air. If you're looking to use your speed and really boost one, you're not so much jumping from the lip (ollie) as you are launching/rotating, unweighting/compressing, then extending for the landing. I never really got good at it, but when I've done it, that's how it feels.