LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Volcom Pro Fiji or Billabong Pro Teahupoo will be cancelled for 2012

just read it in a surfline article but there are rumors that in addition to J-Bay becoming a Six-Star this year and not a world title stop (confirmed), either the Fiji Pro or the Chopes pro will also be dropped.

so no east coast event, no rip curl search event, j bay a six star and now this?

Images
    that doesn't sound good. My guess isn't the sponsorship money is fading...

yea reading through the words to the actual reasons seems like it has a lot to do with the sponsorship budgets drying up.

at what point is the tour bagged all together? the women's tour is only like 5 stops right now which seems pretty pointless.

Images
    lower prize purses...

Billabong as a company isn't fairing well in the market. If you see here, http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=B...BG.AX;range=2y their stock plummeted this year.

I'll be pissed if fiji or teahupoo were canceled.

right? they wouldn't cancel teahupoo, especially after the wild success that it was last year. there are still videos floating around social media websites of those 'amazing waves' 6-7 months ago.

i was totally looking forward to fiji as well. they should get rid of brazil

They'll keep Brazil because of the market and the audience. In these rough economic times, the sponsors care more about being able to stay afloat financially (no pun intended) than going to exotic locales with world class waves.

bring back the Bud Tour

Images
    yikes, thats quite a dive over the last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    Billabong as a company isn't fairing well in the market. If you see here, http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=B...BG.AX;range=2y their stock plummeted this year.

I'll be pissed if fiji or teahupoo were canceled.

They shouldn't be afraid of going after more co-sponsorships like Quik did with Land Rover for the Quik Pro.