LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

No Smoking on Wrightsville beach? Police state?

So i read today on wblivesurf that Wrightsville Beach may put a BAN on smoking on the beach. while the "powers at be" claim that this is a purely environmental issue, i feel that there are other factors at play. in the past 3 years i have watched parking go up to $2 an hour, cameras installed on the bridge on the island to check cars coming on and off, and now a potential smoking ban. you can even get a ticket on WB if your kid digs in the sand a hole and doesn't fill it in...

not that i like cigarette butts in the environment or anything, i dont even smoke, but it seems to me that WB is tightening the neuse around the proletariat to keep working class people off Wrightsville Beach. in the summer, i would love to go to WB everyday but i simply cant afford it. now if i decide to light up a cigarette on the beach i'm at risk of receiving a fine. i dont smoke, but the thought of someone trampling on my rights gets under my skin.

banning stuff is a slippery slope, and honestly the word BAN makes me think of prohibition and banning books. now, the town of WB is talking about building a skatepark, but i see that as just a reason for WB to BAN skateboarding in the next five or ten years, like wilmington already has.

Images
    I'm an ex smoker and although I would prefer not to smell cigarettes on the beach I think people have the right to do it, it's outside for gods sake. Is this a free country anymore? People don't understand that making new laws and regulations just makes it easier for more laws and regulations to be made. Eventually we will live in a friggin police state, have some tolerance for other people and respect their rights to personal freedom lest yours be taken away.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Is this a free country anymore?
    Nope.

Buy all your guns and ammo now!! There's a lot of speculation regarding an Obama 2nd term and our right to bear arms.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTsoul View Post
    Nope.

Buy all your guns and ammo now!! There's a lot of speculation regarding an Obama 2nd term and our right to bear arms.
    the NRA won't let that happen. they run deep with our lawmakers.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSTsoul View Post
    Yeah. There's a lot of speculation about a lot of things...

Images
    WB is the nearest beach access for UNCW crowds and can be a bit of a zoo. Bans and regulations often have more traction with residents of such areas. That's not necessarily a sign that the whole coast is turning into a police state. My two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
    WB is the nearest beach access for UNCW crowds and can be a bit of a zoo. Bans and regulations often have more traction with residents of such areas. That's not necessarily a sign that the whole coast is turning into a police state. My two cents.
    I beg to differ. UNCW students, such as myself, will continue to go to WB instead of CB, kure, ect. because it's the closest. Simple as that. These bans and regulations will only really hurt the families that vacation in WB for a week or two or the locals themselves. The locals in WB rock, by the way. I love when i'm walking up the beach from drifting and I see a few neighbors all sitting around drinking wine out of wine glasses and always say hi with a smile. Of course there are some old grump men or 30's surfer burn-outs, but the locals in general are more friendly that a lot of the places i've been in.
    They don't really complain, but if you keep pushing more and more regulations they will start to get fed up and take their anger out in other ways...

Maybe the whole coast isn't turning into what my town is like, but you can bet your ass there will be more and more regulations and laws in every town annually.

People are getting fed up with this BS

Wrongsville NC. maybe if all the kooks stopped coming they wouldn't have the means or reason to make these ridiculous laws by milking them (and surfers) for all their money through parking fees and all these new fines. Reclaim WB, LOCALS ONLY

haha which will never happen

Classic WB, which is why it is not surprising. Did you also know they want to institute surveillance 24/7 via taking a picture of your license tag when you get over the bridge and taking a picture when you leave? On another note, does anyone really believe we will ever find out the reasons behind 2 WB police being forced to resign and one demoted a little over a month ago?

I grew up on that beach, it hasn't felt like home for decades....

**** um if you gotta smoke um.