So i read today on wblivesurf that Wrightsville Beach may put a BAN on smoking on the beach. while the "powers at be" claim that this is a purely environmental issue, i feel that there are other factors at play. in the past 3 years i have watched parking go up to $2 an hour, cameras installed on the bridge on the island to check cars coming on and off, and now a potential smoking ban. you can even get a ticket on WB if your kid digs in the sand a hole and doesn't fill it in...

not that i like cigarette butts in the environment or anything, i dont even smoke, but it seems to me that WB is tightening the neuse around the proletariat to keep working class people off Wrightsville Beach. in the summer, i would love to go to WB everyday but i simply cant afford it. now if i decide to light up a cigarette on the beach i'm at risk of receiving a fine. i dont smoke, but the thought of someone trampling on my rights gets under my skin.

banning stuff is a slippery slope, and honestly the word BAN makes me think of prohibition and banning books. now, the town of WB is talking about building a skatepark, but i see that as just a reason for WB to BAN skateboarding in the next five or ten years, like wilmington already has.