LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'll be living in WB next year, and all these policies sound just like any town from South Jersey. Soon enough you'll have to have front and back bike lights and wear a helmet if your 17 and under (you have to do that in my hometown!). People are going to freak in WB in the near future

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    So i read today on wblivesurf that Wrightsville Beach may put a BAN on smoking on the beach. while the "powers at be" claim that this is a purely environmental issue, i feel that there are other factors at play. in the past 3 years i have watched parking go up to $2 an hour, cameras installed on the bridge on the island to check cars coming on and off, and now a potential smoking ban. you can even get a ticket on WB if your kid digs in the sand a hole and doesn't fill it in...

not that i like cigarette butts in the environment or anything, i dont even smoke, but it seems to me that WB is tightening the neuse around the proletariat to keep working class people off Wrightsville Beach. in the summer, i would love to go to WB everyday but i simply cant afford it. now if i decide to light up a cigarette on the beach i'm at risk of receiving a fine. i dont smoke, but the thought of someone trampling on my rights gets under my skin.

banning stuff is a slippery slope, and honestly the word BAN makes me think of prohibition and banning books. now, the town of WB is talking about building a skatepark, but i see that as just a reason for WB to BAN skateboarding in the next five or ten years, like wilmington already has.
    oh wahhhhh.... just move instead of complaining...you *****ing does nothing

C'mon people...

OK here is the deal, smoking is a choice that YOU make. I read these posts and people try to get on their high horse... first, everyone agrees that smoking is bad for your health right? People that do not smoke DO NOT WANT TO INHALE YOURS!!! It is not like banning alcohol, books, and the other garbage y'all have been saying. For example, if you partake in a frosty beverage (aka beer), it does not effect the health of the people around you.If you smoke on the beach, many many people may be inhaling your 2nd hand smoke. See the difference?

Also, the folks yelling about their rights being stripped away that don't even smoke --- wake up! Your rights are being protected so that you can enjoy a safe, HEALTHY, public place. Do you know the health effects of 2nd hand even 3rd hand smoke on a small child? The child doesn't have to be in a confined area, inhaling it anywhere can have dangerous health effects for some. It is not their choice to inhale the smoke, so why should they (or anyone else) have to suffer?

Any action that someone takes that directly effects the health and well being of another individual without their consent should not be allowed. Plain and simple. I support banning smoking at WB and ALL public places 110%. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTsoul View Post
    Nope.

Buy all your guns and ammo now!! There's a lot of speculation regarding an Obama 2nd term and our right to bear arms.
    the NRA won't let that happen. they run deep with our lawmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I don't think it's such a bad idea. It's aimed at reducing litter (cigarette butts) and trying to keep them off of the ground. I don't smoke and I do get annoyed at the amount of people I see toss butts out their car window or while they're walking down the street.

WB has a ridiculous amount of rules, though, and it's always so packed. I can't wait til I move a couple islands down from there in the near future!
    creating legislation to fine litterbugs would be a better deterrent and would preserve freedom to enjoy the beach. banning smoking is misplaced if you ask me.
    Last edited by Kahuna Kai; Mar 7, 2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    oh wahhhhh.... just move instead of complaining...you *****ing does nothing
    if you don't fight for your rights, or at least speak up, they will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    all these policies sound just like any town from South Jersey. Soon enough you'll have to have front and back bike lights and wear a helmet if your 17 and under (you have to do that in my hometown!). People are going to freak in WB in the near future
    I stand by my statement that the WB Board of Aldermen is now more represented by transplants (most from PA, NJ and NY) than true locals, and some don't even live on WB full time. This, past and future asinine laws are a direct result of these folks gaining power and what they see as a legislative blank canvas for them to enforce their will.

It's like the disease that follows the encroachment of invasive species. Sad.

@ right_coaster, your argument is no better than any other straw man perpetrated by every other overly self-righteous person with their pet crusade.

I invite you to attempt to defend your claim that someone drinking BEER does not present the potential to endanger the health of another individual. Please define and expound upon what a "healthy" public place is and the government's role in regulating it. Define "suffer." And, finally, please explain this completely nebulous statement by offering other examples to support your argument and define proper depth and breath of claimed responsibility in the means through which it is applied and enforced (I fixed your grammar too): "Any action that someone takes that directly *affects the health and well being of another individual without their consent should not be allowed."

-This should be entertaining-

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    I stand by my statement that the WB Board of Aldermen is now more represented by transplants (most from PA, NJ and NY) than true locals, and some don't even live on WB full time. This, past and future asinine laws are a direct result of these folks gaining power and what they see as a legislative blank canvas for them to enforce their will.

It's like the disease that follows the encroachment of invasive species. Sad.

-
    About...i don't know maybe ten years ago? My hometown (in south jersey) was a regular old town with a laid back atmosphere. No tickets for no bike lights, riding someone on your handle bars, ect. Bars had regular priced drinks, people had fun, houses where normal beach houses at normal cost (relative to the area), surfing was in, old school shops lined the main drag, and a healthy amount of happy locals that loved where they lived.

Fast forward to now - The streets are filled with Main liners and New Yorkers that think they are the bee's knees, multimillion dollar houses (some even 8 or 9 million!!!!), remodeling of roads where bikers have to ride in a designated area, brand new police station and a couple more dozen cops on duty, off the wall beer prices at bars ($6.75!!!), 14 year old beach tagers calling the lifeguards on you for going surfing without a beach tag, getting called out of the water for not having a beach tag and getting a ticket, bmw's and mercedes everywhere, no ball playing near or in the ocean, smaller surfing beaches, not being able to paddle out next to the lifeguards when there is a current, less and more unhappy locals, no more floatilla due to injury scare, no more water guns or water ballons at the 4th of july boat parade, cops questioning you whether the bike your riding is stolen or not, pre-teen brats with their daddy's money, increased noise and drinking violations given out....I can go on forever. Every year the summer gets more and more....regulated, which means less and less fun. The town isn't even the same town any more - and it will start to happen everywhere. not just beach towns. Overregulation and loser board executives are ruining all thats good about each town. Our old Police chief was the man. Nice guy, a local, liked to have fun, just made sure everyone was safe and didn't punish unfairly...like it should be! the new police chief acts like my town is Camden, and i literally live in the safest town i can possible think of.

Coming soon to Wrightsville Beach....

Images
    [/QUOTE]I invite you to attempt to defend your claim that someone drinking BEER does not present the potential to endanger the health of another individual. Please define and expound upon what a "healthy" public place is and the government's role in regulating it. Define "suffer." And, finally, please explain this completely nebulous statement by offering other examples to support your argument and define proper depth and breath of claimed responsibility in the means through which it is applied and enforced (I fixed your grammar too): "Any action that someone takes that directly *affects the health and well being of another individual without their consent should not be allowed."

-This should be entertaining-[/QUOTE]

One note on this point
    I have asthma - secondhand smoke triggers my asthma and therefore directly inhibits my ability to breathe
    Which is a more basic right in your mind - the ability to smoke where desired or the ability to breathe ?

I don't care if someone else damages themselves but I really do like to be able to breathe

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSTsoul View Post
    Buy all your guns and ammo now!! There's a lot of speculation regarding an Obama 2nd term and our right to bear arms.
    Yeah. There's a lot of speculation about a lot of things...