LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

surf Competitions

hey everyone, i was wondering what everyone thought are some key tricks to be able to do to compete in nj area. Im 14 years old and was wondering what should be expected at a competition, i have never competed before but was wondering, thanks everyone,
    Alex

surf your best and pick the best waves....

Images
    solid advice, but i was more wondering on skill level,

Images
    I can't speak from personal experience but I would think that a lot of the groms your age that are competing would be pretty comfortable throwing air reverses and blasting the fins free. I'm sure it depends on the comp, but I see a lot of kids down in NC absolutely killing it. There's definitely a lot more progressive tricks like that in comps these days, but if you have a solid style and can throw some mean hacks I'd say give it a go. Check out the local events in NJ and go watch some before you enter one and you'll have a good idea of what to expect.

you had better be in unreal shape for comps. You will paddle WAY more in a comp than you normal session.

Best trick of all is to avoid them altogether & enjoy surfing for yourself & friends.

Images
    thanks guys, all great advie and topo sofar thats what im liking to do

Not to make this a "tricks vs power" debate, but if you plan on surfing competitively past the local contest scene, you better learn to bury a rail, too. Keep in mind that comps are held in whatever conditions happen to be, so being versatile and surfing according to conditions is good. It could be big, sloppy, small, clean... so get comfortable in all conditions and look for pockets of power.

Would it be safe to say... Airs win heats, but hacks and barrels win contests? Anybody ever score a perfect 10 on an air reverse?

Images
    If you talking about local contest dont waste your time . It all a politics and they tend to favor local to the town the contest is being held in

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Would it be safe to say... Airs win heats, but hacks and barrels win contests? Anybody ever score a perfect 10 on an air reverse?
    Boosts and hacks are what all the youngsters are doing now. Barrels too......

KS got a perfect 10 for his air at the QuikPro. But, he's KS!