LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,688

    Rincon vs. San Juan

    I recently made a post about going to San Juan for my honeymoon this coming October but after talking to everybody on here and doing a lot of research, it's looking more and more like Rincon is the area to go. This is my honeymoon so I won't be spending every day surfing, especially since my fiance doesn't really surf, so we want to be able to split our time between surfing and exploring the other parts of the Island so we can have that romatic time, mixed with some adventure if you know what I mean. We're looking at staying at the Rincon Beach Resort, which i've heard a lot of good things about, and then there is that guy at 787 or whatever that you can hire for lessons / guided tours. Does anybody have any 1st hand knowledge of this place or that guy over at 787?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Davy Jones' Locker
    Posts
    1,386
    Images
    64
    Rincon is a good choice. Check out Maria's. They have a surf school there. Get there early or there will be 50+ people out. The reef is forgiving, and pretty mellow when it's not firing. Just don't drift down towards Indicators (toward the light house) as the wave gets pretty hollow and breaks in real shallow water. After you surf, go grab a drink a El Bohio.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Aguaholic View Post
    Rincon is a good choice. Check out Maria's. They have a surf school there. Get there early or there will be 50+ people out. The reef is forgiving, and pretty mellow when it's not firing. Just don't drift down towards Indicators (toward the light house) as the wave gets pretty hollow and breaks in real shallow water. After you surf, go grab a drink a El Bohio.
    Good call, Maria's sounds / looks pretty solid, and can't go wrong with a stiff drink after a nice sesh, El Bohio here we come!

  4. #4

    Checknthis out

    I own a condo there that is perfect for you and includes longboards check out www.vrbo.com #214129 perfect for surf, fun and honeymoon romance It is extremely clean fully loaded and across from 5 great places to eat with ocean view pool a/c cable tv wifi the works and ignore the online price I discount it for honeymooners check out all the rave reviews from others call me James 516 633-6861

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,688
    Quote Originally Posted by neptunehui View Post
    I own a condo there that is perfect for you and includes longboards check out www.vrbo.com #214129 perfect for surf, fun and honeymoon romance It is extremely clean fully loaded and across from 5 great places to eat with ocean view pool a/c cable tv wifi the works and ignore the online price I discount it for honeymooners check out all the rave reviews from others call me James 516 633-6861
    Thank you for the offer, however, from an ealier post:

    "After further review my fiance and I have decided to rent a private villa from the guy who owns the surf shop Mar Azul in what i believe is Puntas, which if i'm correct is near Sandy Beach, it's half the price and he is including the surf boards for FREE and he has SUP's too, along with all beach gear and tie downs for the car. I'm hoping to head over to Maria's if the conditions are right, and possibly Domes, but i'm open to whatever as long as it's not too sketchy on the reef. I'll be surfing a long board as well as the SUP depending on the wind and swell size. Any idea what the average swell is like in late October? I believe it's just before peak season if i'm not mistaken... "

  6. #6
    Casa Islena is a nice little spot right on Sandy Beach in North Rincon. Its worth a look. I stayed there and loved it.

  7. Pools Beach Cabinas was a great little spot in Rincon area check that out too!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central, NJ
    Posts
    1,082
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by stayabovetheweather View Post
    Pools Beach Cabinas was a great little spot in Rincon area check that out too!
    Yeah it was! Comes with 2am drunk trips to the hospital for splitting head on rock

  9. #9
    Roger at 787 is a good friend of mine. Check out his web site. He will rent you boards and you can tag along when he is giving lessons so you get the local knowledge which is key around Rincon. He'll guide you to the north side or south side depending on which is breaking better. and his place is nice but it's not on the beach. He can point in the right direction towards inland activities too.
    Stay Above the Weather is right too. Pools Beach Cabinas is nice up on the north side. 787 is down below Rincon on the South side. About 5 minutes from Marias/Dogmans.
    Damn, I miss living there.....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Funk/Duke of Cool View Post
    Roger at 787 is a good friend of mine. Check out his web site. He will rent you boards and you can tag along when he is giving lessons so you get the local knowledge which is key around Rincon. He'll guide you to the north side or south side depending on which is breaking better. and his place is nice but it's not on the beach. He can point in the right direction towards inland activities too.
    Stay Above the Weather is right too. Pools Beach Cabinas is nice up on the north side. 787 is down below Rincon on the South side. About 5 minutes from Marias/Dogmans.
    Damn, I miss living there.....
    Thanks again man, you responded in my last thread too, so I appreciate all the advise. it took a little convincing but my fiance finally agrees that it's probably best we stay in the Rincon area rather than San Juan. What i think we'll end up doing if nothing else changes is we'll probably stay at the Rincon Beach Resort and then we'll look your buddy Roger up so we can hit the best spot available at the time for surf. I'm looking for a nice longboard wave, or even better something I can take an SUP out on. I have been surfing mostly SUP this past year and have progressed pretty well so far, not ready for anything over head high at this point, but if it's possible, i'd like to rent one of those for a nice waist to chest and glassy day. If not, i'll grab a LB and paddle out. As far as lessons go, i'd like to take my game to the next level, as I have lots of room for improvement, athough i've been at it 15 years off and on. Hopefully the reef situation isn't too bad, as I do plan on falling often HAHA