LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    I hear that La Perla is exquisite. You can hit a raggaeton concert and take a walk by the sea. There is a historic cemetery there where you can do self guided ghost tours at night too! You two will have a great time there, hit up a quaint B&B, and get a lot of bang for you buck!
    Last edited by Kahuna Kai; Mar 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Western Puerto Rico
    Posts
    94
    Images
    9
    DawnPatrolSUP, be flexible on where you stay. Rincon Beach Resort is south of town and you'll need to drive a little to get to the north coast...and lately there have been a lot of car windows broken at Middles, like 10 at a time.
    Ours was broken out at Jobo's in October. Don't leave anything of value in the car. There has been an increase in police patrols up there because of this- -way late but at least they're aware of the problem.
    You won't be the only one on a sup and on small days it won't be an issue, but if it's cranking most of those guys cannot get back out as there are no real channels.
    The bioluminescent bays are great, Vieques is the best, but remember they don't go out on anything near a full moon b/c you can't see anything.
    October is hit or miss for surf, but you can usually find something. Crowds are a fact of life here but the vibe in the water is pretty cool. Mostly.
    See you in the water!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    I hear that La Perla is exquisite. You can hit a raggaeton concert and take a walk by the sea. There is a historic cemetery there where you can do self guided ghost tours at night too! You two will have a great time there, hit up a quaint B&B, and get a lot of bang for you buck!
    Thanks man, appreciate it, getting lots of good suggestions on here

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by tropic surfer View Post
    DawnPatrolSUP, be flexible on where you stay. Rincon Beach Resort is south of town and you'll need to drive a little to get to the north coast...and lately there have been a lot of car windows broken at Middles, like 10 at a time.
    Ours was broken out at Jobo's in October. Don't leave anything of value in the car. There has been an increase in police patrols up there because of this- -way late but at least they're aware of the problem.
    You won't be the only one on a sup and on small days it won't be an issue, but if it's cranking most of those guys cannot get back out as there are no real channels.
    The bioluminescent bays are great, Vieques is the best, but remember they don't go out on anything near a full moon b/c you can't see anything.
    October is hit or miss for surf, but you can usually find something. Crowds are a fact of life here but the vibe in the water is pretty cool. Mostly.
    See you in the water!
    Thanks man, all good advice, and from someone local from what it looks like. After further review my fiance and I have decided to rent a private villa from the guy who owns the surf shop Mar Azul in what i believe is Puntas, which if i'm correct is near Sandy Beach, it's half the price and he is including the surf boards for FREE and he has SUP's too, along with all beach gear and tie downs for the car. I'm hoping to head over to Maria's if the conditions are right, and possibly Domes, but i'm open to whatever as long as it's not too sketchy on the reef. I'll be surfing a long board as well as the SUP depending on the wind and swell size. Any idea what the average swell is like in late October? I believe it's just before peak season if i'm not mistaken...

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Thanks man, appreciate it, getting lots of good suggestions on here
    The boy is pulling your chain... La Perla is a slum/drug haven in Old San Juan, right next to the El Morro fort guarding the entrance to the San Juan harbor and not far from the Capitol Building overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Thanks man, all good advice, and from someone local from what it looks like. After further review my fiance and I have decided to rent a private villa from the guy who owns the surf shop Mar Azul in what i believe is Puntas, which if i'm correct is near Sandy Beach, it's half the price and he is including the surf boards for FREE and he has SUP's too, along with all beach gear and tie downs for the car. I'm hoping to head over to Maria's if the conditions are right, and possibly Domes, but i'm open to whatever as long as it's not too sketchy on the reef. I'll be surfing a long board as well as the SUP depending on the wind and swell size. Any idea what the average swell is like in late October? I believe it's just before peak season if i'm not mistaken...
    We don't surf "average swells" at any time of the year. The swell is most consistent, on average, in the middle of the winter. However, a person can find February mostly flat and September throwing out 10 foot barrels all month. Waves are weather driven events. So... be prepared for total flatness or waves beyond your abilities. Reefs are everywhere although Domes is one of the more forgiving sites in Rincon -- that and Sandy Beach. Be prepared for a 45-60 minute drive to the north coast -- Surfers Beach or Jobos.

    BTW, staying in Puntas you will feel like you never left FL or NJ. Hope the Mar Azul guy has improved his operations concerning SUP and longboard rentals. There were real issues with newbies flooding Rincon without the slightest concept of surf etiquette.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    The boy is pulling your chain... La Perla is a slum/drug haven in Old San Juan, right next to the El Morro fort guarding the entrance to the San Juan harbor and not far from the Capitol Building overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.
    HAHA, not surprised, wasn't really planning on checking it out, seeing as i'll be on the complete opposite side of the Island. But thanks for the heads up.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    We don't surf "average swells" at any time of the year. The swell is most consistent, on average, in the middle of the winter. However, a person can find February mostly flat and September throwing out 10 foot barrels all month. Waves are weather driven events. So... be prepared for total flatness or waves beyond your abilities. Reefs are everywhere although Domes is one of the more forgiving sites in Rincon -- that and Sandy Beach. Be prepared for a 45-60 minute drive to the north coast -- Surfers Beach or Jobos.

    BTW, staying in Puntas you will feel like you never left FL or NJ. Hope the Mar Azul guy has improved his operations concerning SUP and longboard rentals. There were real issues with newbies flooding Rincon without the slightest concept of surf etiquette.
    So basically it's a complete gamble in October is what you're saying, which is fine, as long as I score at least one decent swell i'll be happy, but hoping for a few days with the right conditions. As far as "etiquette" goes i won't be one of those guys who's never seen a line up before, got lots of experience there, but i'm sure you were referring to the other guys that normally come to that area. I won't be droppin in on anybody or stealing all the waves from the outside, but i do intend on getting my fair share, give / take. I can surf all types of boards now that i'm back in shape, but i have a new addiction with this SUP i got for my B day last year, and i've progressed rather quickly on it to the point I almost feel most comfortable on it, as long as it's under head high. Once we start looking at Chest+ i pull out my 8ft McTavish or my 6' 10" WRV Fun Fish. I've seen some of the guy's boards online at Mar Azul and it appears he'll be able to provide what i need. Needless to say i'm stoked

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central, NJ
    Posts
    1,082
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by stayabovetheweather View Post
    Pools Beach Cabinas was a great little spot in Rincon area check that out too!
    Yeah it was! Comes with 2am drunk trips to the hospital for splitting head on rock

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna Kai View Post
    Have fun in "another country" and try not to wear it from a sponger or on the reef. Oh, and watch yer cornhole bub.
    "You know what I would do if I had a million bucks?"