LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Board Recommendations

Hey whats up guys, so this summer im planning on starting to surf. Ive been in the water my whole like and body boarded forever. Ive got good balance and in top shape physically. Everyone says to buy a longboard or a fish for the first board but i think id be able to start out on a shortboard and be fine, just a little bit larger learning curve. Im 6' 3" 195-200 lbs. Please let me know what you guys think. Also please dont be a **** about it, theres no point.

I think, based on this being your first board and your size, you should probably get something inbetween a longboard and a shortboard.
    something like the Rusty terminator or Desert Island, or something like Lost Glider model. these are basically short boards for bigger guys. From what I read on this forum there appears to be a bunch of guys in our size range that surf short boards, in the 6'6" range and smaller. I have no clue how they do it but Im certain years of experience and being in good surfing shape help. When I sit on my 6'6" short board in the water, my shoulders are practically at water level. lol. basically sinking.

Quote Originally Posted by CG8 View Post
    Hey whats up guys, so this summer im planning on starting to surf. Ive been in the water my whole like and body boarded forever. Ive got good balance and in top shape physically. Everyone says to buy a longboard or a fish for the first board but i think id be able to start out on a shortboard and be fine, just a little bit larger learning curve. Im 6' 3" 195-200 lbs. Please let me know what you guys think. Also please dont be a **** about it, theres no point.
    Dude, go big. You'll have much more fun getting the hang of surfing. You'll catch more waves, and progress much faster. If you get too small of a board, you'll be sinking all over the place, paddling like a bastard to catch waves, and end up very frustrated. Too many big guys buy these potato chip boards and wind up quitting. Im 6'5, 230. The smallest thing I ride is a 7'6 Kingfish. Just accept that you are a big dude and you need some foam...and have fun. I'd go with a longboard. Perfect for small to overhead. Always a good time.

Agreed, foam is your friend. For a first board, you want to go big, then as your surfing progresses, you can go smaller. Longboards are stable and catch waves easy. You say you're in great shape, but it is not the same as being in great surfing shape. I was a collegiate athlete in the best shape of my life when I started, and surfing kicked my arse. I saw fat old guys paddling circles around me.

Small boards are harder to paddle and less stable to stand on

Big boards are easier to paddle and more stable to stand up on

I'm a big guy, 6-6 255 and I started on a 10-2 longboard but have progressed to surfing boards as short as 7'. All my boards are fat and wide (just like my women) to support my size though.

Like the previous poster said, surfing a board that is too small is frustrating and might lead to you quitting. Good luck.
    Last edited by Kahuna Kai; Mar 10, 2012 at 06:11 PM.

Don't get a 9' longboard... that's a huge misconception that length is where your learning is crutched. It's not. You'd be sitting in the water trying to get a huge log turned around and spending all your time just controlling where your boards pointed. Don't get a fish either. They require a certain type of riding style you definitely won't have off the bat. Get a 7'6 fun shape or an egg.

Look into a Channel Islands M13 or something similar (M13 might be a little pricey for a first board.) Id put you on a 7'6" ideally. Paddles well, catches waves well and you won't sacrifice too much stability.

I agree with this last post. I have been surfing for about 20 years, but one of my good buddies didn't decide to pick it up until around age 30 (I am 34). Luckily, he was on vacation in the OBX with me and another friend who has been surfing for over 20 years. He got a chance to try a funboard, longboard and big guy shortboard over the course of a week and wound up purchasing a 7'2" funshape later that summer. He felt the longboard was too hard for him to control and felt more comfortable with the funshape. Although, now he wants to buy a longboard. We are all over6 feet tall and foam is our friend. Grovelling for waves sucks.

no. that board is not right for your size or experience level. I think you'd be in the 7 to 7'6" range as mentioned before....

Quote Originally Posted by jchafard View Post
    Don't get a 9' longboard... that's a huge misconception that length is where your learning is crutched. It's not. You'd be sitting in the water trying to get a huge log turned around and spending all your time just controlling where your boards pointed. Don't get a fish either. They require a certain type of riding style you definitely won't have off the bat. Get a 7'6 fun shape or an egg.

Look into a Channel Islands M13 or something similar (M13 might be a little pricey for a first board.) Id put you on a 7'6" ideally. Paddles well, catches waves well and you won't sacrifice too much stability.
    I still say go big. A guy whos 6'3 200 lbs should have no trouble whipping a 9 footer around. Come on, lets be realistic. While there are some things that are harder to learn on a longboard, a big board for a big guy. Thats all. Not everyone is a blonde shaggy haired gnome weighing in at 85 lbs who can diddle around on paper thin boards doing aerials 360s and ****.

"Most of my boards are fat and wide, like my women"...hahahaha thats classic

Images
    Hey whats up guys, so this summer im planning on starting to surf. Ive been in the water my whole like and body boarded forever. Ive got good balance and in top shape physically. Everyone says to buy a longboard or a fish for the first board but i think id be able to start out on a shortboard and be fine, just a little bit larger learning curve. Im 6' 3\" 195-200 lbs. Please let me know what you guys think. Also please dont be a **** about it, theres no point.
    It depends LOT on where and how often you will be able to surf. If you plan to learn this summer on the Delmarva like Assateague or OC on a bunch of weekends, you will be lucky to see chest high waves even a few times and will mostly be learning in knee high surf. Id recommend a fun shape in the 7'6”+ range. >If you will be able to paddle out on a regular basis all year you could start on something smaller like a 6 8” egg or something. It will be more frustrating on the smaller days, but will help help your paddling ability progress more quickly.
    Last edited by mitchell; Mar 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM.