LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Moving from New Jersey to California!!!!

I've been really considering moving to CA in a year or so. Hopefully in the san diego region. I know that a lot of people on this site have made this transition and i was hoping for some tips. I went to Anthem Tech school for Computer Networking and have 1year experience working for Comcast troubleshooting internet issues. The way I see it I have 3 options:

1. Save up 10k and move down there without a job and bust my a$$ tring to find a job.

2. Transfer to the San Fransico call center within Comcast. (Obviously the best choice, but may or may not be an option)

3. Find a job first. (How? I wouldn't even know where to start.)

What do you guys think. If you say 3. could you please explain the right way to start, and how likely it is i will find something.

I'm really looking for people with personal experience in this if possible!!! I really am hoping for some feedback here!!! Thanx in advance!!

1. This is the second to best option. I did the same two years ago with 5k saved and it only lasted me a bit before I was able to find work. Finding work is definitely not easy though (unemployment rate in CA is 11-12% and it is 15-20% for people in the 20's. You will need to tap the networks and make a strong case why someone would hire you.

2. This is definitely the best plan, although surf in SF is not the California sunshine you may be looking for. Ocean beach can be big, sharky, and is definitely cold. Then again, SF may be one of the best cities in CA, with smart people, pretty good weather, and a social life that has far less vanity than some parts of Southern Cal.

3. This is impossible (or almost impossible). There are so many people looking for work in CA, you will be hard-pressed to be hired before moving there. I did not even get interviews (with a BA and Masters) until I told people that I was in the process of moving or that I already lived there.

Best advice: Move out there, live on a friend's couch, take 2-3 months looking for work, and you should be in good shape. That's if SF doesn't work out (the surf is definitely good if you can stand colder water and sharks--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KvBx5EJEno).

3. Save some money and leave New Jersey. California has better waves and San Diego has Mission/Pacific Beach which has been deemed "Lil Jersey" so you will fit in fine but have a better lifestyle.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I didn't even take the great whites into consideration when I was thinking about San Fran. I'm fine with the cold water, but I would prefer not to be eaten if possible... I am deffinitly in the beggining stages of this process. I am still saving for a new car at the moment. Will be getting the car sometime next month. That is when I will start saving for the California dream lol. I guess if i move there my only option is to put 3,000 miles on my new car for the trip ??? I don't like that idea. Any cheap way around that?? Also, is there anyone that has done this that can give me a price estimate on the actual move itself??? roundabout figure would be awesome. Also, am i in the best forum for this??? Thanx again guys!!!

Just leave your **** here, you'll be back, they always come back! Or sell everything get on a plane, buy your new car there. Cheap $350 for 1 way ticket, just do it!

6. Ive made the 3000 mile drive back from cali alone ... Santa Cruz to LBI ... door to door took 60 hours ... heavily caffeinated .. was kinda crazy but that drive wasnt that bad at all as long as you have good tunes to rock out to

i did the drive twice from monmouth county to encinitas - first time through the south and the second time was through chicago then south. had a fantastic time on both drives - each took 3 days. find places to camp if you're low on $, that helped us a lot as we were still in college

Quote Originally Posted by Harhar View Post
    Just leave your **** here, you'll be back, they always come back! Or sell everything get on a plane, buy your new car there. Cheap $350 for 1 way ticket, just do it!
    I'm sure even you are going to be suprised by this... but that commment was actuallly pretty helpful. I don't have anything that i really need to relocate besides my new car, my clothes, and my surfboards. So i don't have to worry about any moving expenses but the drive itself. I didn't even think of that. Thanx Harhar!!!!!!

I was thinking about maybe taking a 4 day vacation to san diego this spring just to check everything out. How much do you guys think that would cost? and any advise on things I should check out while I'm out there?? besides blacks beach Thats a given

Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    I'm sure even you are going to be suprised by this... but that commment was actuallly pretty helpful. I don't have anything that i really need to relocate besides my new car, my clothes, and my surfboards. So i don't have to worry about any moving expenses but the drive itself. I didn't even think of that. Thanx Harhar!!!!!!
    I was serious and not a all surprised, it was meant to be helpful. Plus when you get tired of cali, usually takes about 12-18 months, the move back will be just as painless! Or you can drive your new car back.