LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Environmental Science

Hi-

I am hoping some of your can help me out...are there any people out there that majored in environmental science and are currently in the field? I am thinking about going back to school and getting a degree in environmental science but I am trying to get some info. on job prospects/careers after graduation etc... What's it like out there? What type of related jobs are you guys in now? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Images
    be an engineer.... most needed job in the world.

Es

I majored in Adventure ED and minored in environmental science more specifically marine science. I am working in my field of AE currently. If you are interested in being on the water, NOAA and the Division of Marine Fishery's have lots of openings as At Sea Monitors. Basically you gotta like being on a commercial fishing boat and not fishing. you evaluate bycatch and try to stay out of the crews way(good personality is a plus) because the crews don't want some hippy telling them what they can and cant keep. More than that your basically big brother to them, a government spy! But if you wanna be on the water and live near surf this is a great gig for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by wingaersheek View Post
    I majored in Adventure ED and minored in environmental science more specifically marine science. I am working in my field of AE currently. If you are interested in being on the water, NOAA and the Division of Marine Fishery's have lots of openings as At Sea Monitors. Basically you gotta like being on a commercial fishing boat and not fishing. you evaluate bycatch and try to stay out of the crews way(good personality is a plus) because the crews don't want some hippy telling them what they can and cant keep. More than that your basically big brother to them, a government spy! But if you wanna be on the water and live near surf this is a great gig for a while.
    Thanks, I live in Gloucester as well wingaersheek, I assume you work out of boats leaving from the city?

yeah pretty much. My buddy is an observer and they put him up in a house over by the fort. he sets out from glosta usually but some times portsmouth new bedford the cape and sometimes rhody. so one of the requirements is to own solid wheels. but the job is pretty sweet. you aint gonna be a millionare but you will have some fun doin it.

Images
    hey man im a sop****re, they're gonna blank this out because it says h.o.m.o haha, an earth and environmental sciences major bachelor of science, with a minor in environmental studies and marine biology. it's gonna be a lot of work but i hope i can travel, do research, and surf at the same time.

I graduated with a bachelors in environmental science in 2008 and got a job right out of college working for a large environmental consulting firm. The job prospects in my area are great in this field, as my company is almost always hiring entry level grads right out of college, and there are other companies in the area doing the same. It's not spectacular work by any means, we work mostly for large oil companies cleaning up and dealing with their spills, but the pay is decent and job security is pretty good once you have a couple years experience under your belt.

i work with some environmental guys and they do a lot of permitting (putting together documents for NJDEP and Army Core of Engineer compliance) just doing a lot of unnecessary b.s. that the DEP thinks of. you could also work for the DEP in one of their many departments making sh!t up in order to cost the taxpayers and developers all kinds of unnecessary hassles and $. but theres definitely opportunites for field work around streams, wetlands, beaches, construction sites etc. there are quite a few ways you can go with an environmental degree.

Natural Resource Conservation

I have worked in natural resource conservation for the last 35 years. It has been a very rewarding career. I have gotten to do some amazing work in some amazing places and gotten paid for it. I've also gotten a sence of accomplishment for having made a difference. Pay was not great but the job satisfaction was.

lol SJerzSrfr right on man... waste of money for the majority of it, especially in an economy where money is so tight and in debt.