LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

What kind of car do you drive?

In spirit of the "Gas Prices" thread and the cost of fuel predicted to go up during the summer, when most of us do a lot more driving for surf day trips, post-work sessions and other activities.

What kind of car do you drive? Gas mileage? Good surf mobile? Upgrade or downgrade in the future?

2011 335d

425 foot pounds of torque and 25-35 MPG- I like to think of it as a "poor man's M3"

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Whaler View Post
    2011 335d

425 foot pounds of torque and 25-35 MPG- I like to think of it as a "poor man's M3"
    Drove one of these and it hauls ass compared to my TDI Jetta. Drove one for 2 days- only got to 120ish and still had plenty left in it.

My rides:
    For work- 2011 VW TDI Jetta...38-52 MPG depending on how I drive...at least 50k miles / year

2004 VW Touareg V8- Gets terrible mileage, but I love driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbar18 View Post
    Drove one of these and it hauls ass compared to my TDI Jetta. Drove one for 2 days- only got to 120ish and still had plenty left in it.

My rides:
    For work- 2011 VW TDI Jetta...38-52 MPG depending on how I drive...at least 50k miles / year

2004 VW Touareg V8- Gets terrible mileage, but I love driving it.
    The new body (2012) F30 3 series will have a high MPG 4 cyl. turbo diesel available this year (hell the new 328i gets 24-36 and up to 43 mpg). BMW was aware of an indirect correlation between performance (mostly acceleration) and North American sales as the slowest BMW ever sold in this market was also the poorest seller (the dreaded 318ti). They also wanted to shatter the diesel myths: noisy, dirty and SLOW; that led to the decision to put the big diesel in the 3 series when they reintroduced diesel BMWs to N.A.

I sold VWs from 2002-2008. 04 V8 Touregs were really problematic- hope you haven't had much trouble with yours.

2011 335d

hot damn! a new $45k BMW is for "poor" men??

Quote Originally Posted by parippa View Post
    hot damn! a new $45k BMW is for "poor" men??
    when you think an M3 sedan is $20k more plus insane insurance premiums, 15-20 MPG at best on premium (same $ as diesel) and much higher cost to maintain down the road makes it seem down rate affordable.

when you think an M3 sedan is $20k more plus insane insurance premiums, 15-20 MPG at best on premium (same $ as diesel) and much higher cost to maintain down the road makes it seem down rate affordable.
    I'm sure you know, but the e30 and e36 325i's offer tons of bang for your buck.. if your handy with a wrench. My 12 yr old A4 1.8 turbo is a comfortable and fun awd 4 door for lugging broke friends to the beach.. specs say 28mpg, but i'm lucky to get 25.

Quote Originally Posted by parippa View Post
    I'm sure you know, but the e30 and e36 325i's offer tons of bang for your buck.. if your handy with a wrench. My 12 yr old A4 1.8 turbo is a comfortable and fun awd 4 door for lugging broke friends to the beach.. specs say 28mpg, but i'm lucky to get 25.
    those 20 valve 1.8t motors have a notorious sludging problem- sludge clogs the oil pickup/return, head gets starved of oil and bad things happen but they sure are torquey, fun and tons of performance parts are available. 25 MPG for AWD is pretty good- especially in an Audi that doesn't feel like a Pepsi can going down the road.

4runner. couldn't have a better "surf mobile" other than the fact it guzzles gas. it's great, esp in the winter. i'll change in it on really cold days.

Jeep wrangler.. 10 mpg and great surf mobile.