LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Images

SUP Etiquette 101

So I was told by an SUPer in Waikiki that I had "cut him off" because I took off on the same wave he was on. I figured he would go left or straight and I would go straight and we'd share the wave just like all the others. Instead he turned toward me, nearly hit me, and then turned away. I told him he needed to be more careful and he responded with, "you took my wave and need to learn surfing etiquette 101". What about SUP etiquette 101? I pointed out to him that the next wave had 6 surfers riding it without anybody turning into each other. Since the SUPers start paddling way outside was I really "taking his wave" by jumping in once the wave had formed? Does anyone else have this problem? Is it surfer etiquette to let every SUPer take every wave since they get on it so much earlier than a surfer? It seems the SUPers need to learn some etiquette.

Ugh, the horde of SUPers are going to to back soon......

here is one, hit me with that thing and i'm taking your paddle. There is only one sup'r that I like surfing with and it's because he calls sets like a mile out and then goes away for a while. IF you camp out on a sandbar on a SUP, you are doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliaep View Post
    I figured he would go left or straight and I would go straight and we'd share the wave just like all the others. Instead he turned toward me, nearly hit me, and then turned away. I told him he needed to be more careful
    Well... chances are if you had been watching this guy surf, you'd probably see that he was riding down the line... actually surfing, rather than "kooking it" straight in. I'm NOT calling you a kook, brother. That's just the term we use around here for guys who drop in and go straight. I'll sometimes kook it at the end of a wave or after a drop on a closeout.

Basic etiquette in all wave riding sports is the same: the guy up and riding first and the guy who's closest to the peak has priority. Everyone else has to hold back and see if he makes it, falls, goes left, goes right, goes straight... whatever. It sounds like, even thought most guys out that day were going straight and sharing waves, this guy was "surfing" the wave. If you "cut him off" you may have actually dropped in on him... which is considered bad etiquette.

My advice is to pay close attention to who's who and who's doing what in the lineup, whether you're on a sup, surfboard, bodyboard... whatever. Give priority to the guy at the peak, and get out of his way if he's coming down the line, and 99% of your problems are solved before they occur.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Mar 19, 2012 at 09:06 PM.

nothing i hate like when a SUP keeps paddling around me and catch all the waves..I f.....g hate when SUP guys are in the line up..

I would say the first thing you did wrong was to tell the guy to be more carefull. Nothing I hate more than someone with much less experience "advising me" to be more carefull. It has happened to me several times, I go to my local spot on a summer day and see a bunch of heads in the water, none that I recognize. I notice that everyone is a beginner and sitting too far inside so I paddle to the outside and catch a few riding right by everybody. Eventually one of the beginner pack want's a wave I'm on and starts to paddle way down the line. I pump and race up to them and spook them off the shoulder and continue down the line. I think nothing off it and know that they were never in danger but as I paddle back out they say "you need to be more carefull, you almost hit me". Usually this us a girl with one or 2 summers under her belt. Rule number one is surfing is not safe whether it was a SUP a kayaker or a surfer. It is your responsibility to watch what everyone is doing especially the one closer to the peak. I know this was Waikiki where a lot of tourists go but there are local people that surf there on the outer reefs.

Images
    Admittedly, I am a beginner and decided to be cautious about cutting through the waves on a long board in a very crowded spot. I was in the line up with the surfers but this SUPer was further out. I figured the SUPer would cut left and just avoid me. He got all hot and bothered when I told him to be careful - oh well. I ended up staying away from the guy and hung out with a couple of local surfers (not SUPers) and we pretty much shared the waves or stayed out of each other's way. I don't think surfer etiquette counts for SUPers especially if they're going to start in the wave so far back and expect no one to drop in on them. The local guys on the beach suggested I just smile if it ever happens again

Images
    You got balls to say that to someone in Hawaii bro.... lucky you didnt get beat up lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPREME View Post
    You got balls to say that to someone in Hawaii bro.... lucky you didnt get beat up lol!!
    why you callin' chicks bros, bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Juliaep View Post
    I don't think surfer etiquette counts for SUPers especially if they're going to start in the wave so far back and expect no one to drop in on them.
    Surfer etiquette counts for SUPs....it doesnt matter how far outside the guy caught the wave, or what direction you THOUGHT he would go. Pretty much if you ended up in front of him, you dropped in.