LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Seems like common sense to me: beginners should surf at the beginner breaks before they paddle out at a prime spot and expect waves in a lineup full of better-than-average locals when the best spots are firing, and there's plenty of lesser waves down the beach. As I've said many times... you can debate the right and wrong of that, but that's just the way it is pretty much everywhere I know of.
    +1. Part of learning to surf is understanding where and when you belong and where and when you don't. I think it's good to push your comfort level a little sometimes because being around better breaks, bigger surf and better surfers helps you improve. But within reason, you should be ready before paddling out into double-overhead surf or a pack of hotdogging short-boarders blasting aerials.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliaep View Post
    So I was told by an SUPer in Waikiki that I had "cut him off" because I took off on the same wave he was on. I figured he would go left or straight and I would go straight and we'd share the wave just like all the others. Instead he turned toward me, nearly hit me, and then turned away. I told him he needed to be more careful and he responded with, "you took my wave and need to learn surfing etiquette 101". What about SUP etiquette 101? I pointed out to him that the next wave had 6 surfers riding it without anybody turning into each other. Since the SUPers start paddling way outside was I really "taking his wave" by jumping in once the wave had formed? Does anyone else have this problem? Is it surfer etiquette to let every SUPer take every wave since they get on it so much earlier than a surfer? It seems the SUPers need to learn some etiquette.
    The six riders may have been complete noobs. I surfed Waikiki and it is completely full of new surfers. Personally, if he could balance, turn, and take the wave without loosing his balance, I would have left him have it. This would have shown he knew what he was doing and was not learning to SUP. As for the others who are riding foam boards and doing their own stupid thing, I would drop in on them because the would be only going straight or barely riding the line.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Seems like common sense to me: beginners should surf at the beginner breaks before they paddle out at a prime spot and expect waves in a lineup full of better-than-average locals when the best spots are firing, and there's plenty of lesser waves down the beach. As I've said many times... you can debate the right and wrong of that, but that's just the way it is pretty much everywhere I know of. What "should be" and what ARE are totally different things. And if you are a beginner, and do think you are "entitled" to waves at the best spot on the best days, many would agree that YOU need to learn some etiquette.

But for the record... I get my share, and give my share... you'll just have to trust me on that one.
    Perfectly stated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Images
    If you don't know.... Don't go........

http://www.surfinghandbook.com/knowl...ing-etiquette/

Learn it.....Love it..... Live it......