LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    columbia SC, and i go to holden beach NC alot

how fast can you go with surfboards on roof racks.

hey guys i just got a thule roof rack for my toyota corolla and i was wondering how fast i can go with surfboards on it? i mean a surfboard is a fairly big area and looks like an airplane wing kind of. is there a certain speed where the pressure becomes to much and it will just rip the rack off the car, or the board snaps in half? im just wondering how fast yall go normally and if i should stay under 70 or something like that on the interstate?

thanks
    AJ

The fastest I have gone with my roof racks was around 75 -80 driving back to school. I'm not sure if there is a max speed for them though. I didn't want to test it and have my 2 boards go flying accross I-95.

Thanks,

yeah i dont want to test it either. thats why i figured i'd better ask. what size are your boards? i dont know if that really matters, but i figure bigger probably has more resistance.

I never go over 80-85mph, I've lost a board that wasn't strapped in right at 80mph, still can't believe it didn't kill anyone. I rope, strap and double wrap them f ers now.

so how do you tie them down? upside down and facing backwards? because that is what i see in a lot of videos although some of them have the boards facing forward? which way would you say is better?

Upside down backwards 90 mph

I've had the Thule roof rack and board holder for about 7 years, and I haven't lost a board or anything yet. I have gone probably 85 or so, probably faster on the way to the airport with three boards on top (the straps only fit 2 but I tie ropes to the ends to extend them for more boards; if you don't know how to tie knots I wouldn't recommend this). When I had my Nissan Altima, I once had 40 2x4 studs on there, and the racks held up fine! Now I have a truck with a cap, but I attached the racks to the roof of the cap, and use them to haul lumber, ladders, or whatever else I need to put on there. One thing to consider though, is the board length. If you're hauling a longboard, I would be careful going into a strong headwind over a bridge or something, but other than that I think a shortboard catches minimal wind if put on right (upside-down and backwards as stated by the above posts). Also, while Thule racks are great, in my youth I had just cheap 70 dollar surf racks, and I remember my friends and I stacking 6 boards on there and we never lost a board What a nightmare we must have been to the experienced surfers back then. What kooks!

w/ proper racks, & the boards strapped down properly (fins up & forward, don't be a kook) you can go as fast as you want. i've done 85 w/ a longboard on the roof in the past. IMO however, going faster than 80 is stupid unless conditions are perfect & you're a good driver. you become a danger to yourself & others. besides, w/ gas prices going the way they are, & the fact that most cars are at their most fuel efficient between 55-65mph, there's no reason to go that fast.

depends on what kinda car you have. My delorean acts really weird once i hit 88.

thanks for all the help guys. ive never carried boards on a surf rack before so i just want to be extra careful. im sure i sound like a real noob right now. yeah i only want to go 70 since that is since that is the fastest speed limit i encounter on my way to the beaches i go to. i just wanted to make sure the surfboards could handle that. I have one more question. im actually carrying two longboards. is it better to push them further back on the rack and have more over hang off the back than the front? this way it would have less surface area catching head wind. or is it better just to have even overhang front and back? sorry about all the questions.

thanks

AJ