LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
    depends on what kinda car you have. My delorean acts really weird once i hit 88.
    Classic......

Quote Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
    depends on what kinda car you have. My delorean acts really weird once i hit 88.
    you beat me to it!

where are you going to surf??? Forecast looks pretty bleak

I have the Thule rack system, use it to carry two longboards. I usually drive 75 or so, but have gone up to 85 with no problems. I usually add an extra Dakine tiedown strap for good measure, and check every hour or two to make sure everything is tight. I have a 3.5 hr drive each way to surf, been doing it a few times a month for a couple years with no problems.

columbia SC, and i go to holden beach NC alot
    thanks tonylamont. hey when you put your longboards on there. do you position them evenly on the racks or do you place them further back so there isnt much over hang on the front?

@ whiterwater. im not going anywhere right now. i just got the roof rack setup and i just wanted to know what it and the boards can handle before i do go out somewhere.

thanks AJ

As long as you set them up right and followed the install directions...you shouldn't have a problem. I used the hang two carrier (and the original rubber band setup and newer version). Carried SUPs, longboards, short...and all held on incredibly...at highway speeds. Never had a problem...

Images

a question of balance....

i have yakimas on my camry. i have two 9+ boards and i position them back enough that they just nearly ready tip backwards. this cuts down on tendency to sail at 75+ i usually drive.

Early in the AM many years ago, dazed and hungover, leaving avon to make the 7 mile drive to buxton, we couldnt find the straps, so we fixed two longboards to the yakima roof rack with some old bungees. passing 4 cars at once, the driver, not me, hit 90mph and SNAP! we both look back to see the boards spinning through the air and slam into the front of an old minivan, who we just finished passing, breaking one board in half. we almost crapped ourselves until the minivan rolls up next to us and the three dudes in there were kinda smiling. sure enough their mom was in the car behind them and when they took off, she pulled up next to us and started yelling.. my boy threw it in reverse to avoid the verbal assault and we went back to collect the scraps. Now days even with a proper setup on my yakima, i refuse to exceed 85 mph. I've been in the truck with my boy joe when he's hit 95mph with two lb's on his thule and its scary. We could have killed those dudes in NC that day.

Images
    i remember a story from the 70's about a car full of South Jersey fellas who had six boards come off the top of the car while crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge, on the way to Hatteras. a horrifying scenario that's too disturbing to ever forget...

columbia SC, and i go to holden beach NC alot
    thanks for all the help guys. i actually just went ahead and got on a country backroad with my longboard strapped on. i went 75 with no problems. it seemed really stable and stiff so im sure it could have handled more. i just dont really intend on going faster than 75. the fastest speed limit i ever come across is 70 , and i normally only do 5 over. im happy though and now i cant wait to go get some waves. thanks again for all the help guys, and those were some scary stories some of you had.

AJ