LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by radripperaj View Post
    thanks for all the help guys. ive never carried boards on a surf rack before so i just want to be extra careful. im sure i sound like a real noob right now. yeah i only want to go 70 since that is since that is the fastest speed limit i encounter on my way to the beaches i go to. i just wanted to make sure the surfboards could handle that. I have one more question. im actually carrying two longboards. is it better to push them further back on the rack and have more over hang off the back than the front? this way it would have less surface area catching head wind. or is it better just to have even overhang front and back? sorry about all the questions.

thanks

AJ
    Less frontal over hang the better.....You can get locking staps and or attachments to properly secure your board. Inno makes a good one for Thule racks.
    http://www.orsracksdirect.com/inno-r...oard-rack.html

Yakima also makes a set of 12' straps that lock.

Don't trust surf racks. Consider the damage they can do if one comes off your car & the liability you could face if one ever does. I probably have this phobia from growing up in the 70's when surf racks were made our of metal chain wrapped in plasic tubing. They are probably safe if used correctly, but be careful.

i try to put them on sideways. That way if you go fast enough, you can get take flight.
    Last edited by leethestud; Mar 26, 2012 at 02:40 PM.

I have this Inno rack and I have to say, it takes all the guess work out of strapping your board on your car. It also locks which makes it great if you are grabbing a bite to eat after your session....no need to worry about somebody vicking your boards. As long as we are talking about speed, I have had it up to 80 without even a vibration from the board or rack....but there is really no need to go that fast. If you want to do it right and you use yor rack almost exclusively to surf, I would recommend this highly.

Quote Originally Posted by wave1rider65 View Post
    Less frontal over hang the better.....You can get locking staps and or attachments to properly secure your board. Inno makes a good one for Thule racks.
    http://www.orsracksdirect.com/inno-r...oard-rack.html

Yakima also makes a set of 12' straps that lock.

this thread is pathetic