LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Solo missions and the wife

So I've about had it with this flat spell and ready to throw the credit card or dip into the savings account for a trip south in May or August. I've not taken a solo surf trip since '05 (and I was going with my wife's brother at the time so of course that made it different). I have no friends that surf and most of the people I associate with play golf etc...Anyone ever pack your bags, surf your brains out and return in a week? What was your wife's response? What was your reasoning for doing it, and how did you pull it off without living in a tent in the backyard when you returned. *Footnote* I'm by no means rich but have no debt, a little money in the bank so throwing down 3 grand on a trip would not make or break me. (I know that would be a point of argument for my wife as money always seems to be an issue for a lot of people when paying the bucks for a good travel experience. Comments? Advice?

Done it a few times do it my wife was stoked for me when I cam ehome with tales of great waves and cool locals!

Bring the wife, problem solved.. happy wife = happy life.. what woman wouldn't want a vacation?

If money is not a problem, and Kids are not a factor - Go Bro! FL, CR, CA, PR whatever...

The argument is that you're turning into a complete S O B because the worst flat spell (in 10 years) of nada waves has not cleared your totally stressed out mind. This little jaunt will make you a better person to be around.

While you're gone Amazon her 50 shades of Gray and she'll be waiting for you big time when you get back.

Images
    I've been married 15 years and taken some sort of surf related trip every one of those 15 years, many variations on the theme. Just about ALL of my friends surf. Here are some of the variations:

-Boat trip to Indo with two friends. Great option. met other surfers on the boat. Expensive.

Drive to Florida in December with swell forecasted - solo trip. tent camp, sleep in car. Didnt meet anyone to hang out with, got boring when not surfing. Cheap. Ive also done the solo/camp trip- in California. Santa Cruz and San Clemente. Highly recommend California over Florida. Not JUST because the waves are 10 times better, its just more fun out there!

-Combo surf trip/trip with wife to Hawaii. Some stress with the mix of surfing and family stuff. Expensive.

-Solo trip to surf camp in Costa Rica. Met others, made friends, good option for a solo trip. Cheap.

I disagree with the "take the wife" suggestion. take her on a non-surfing vacation, then take yourself on a full-on surf trip. I personally cant find the right balance taking the wife to a place with waves.

The last option is what i would do...go somewhere where you will have people to hang out with. As far as the wifes reaction goes...i dont take the trip if shes not down with it so her reaction is always the same..."glad you had fun, tell me all about it, heres the huge list of things that need to be done around the house since you were off playing for a week"
    Last edited by mitchell; Mar 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Images
    I know my wife wouldnt mind one bit but I have friends who have wives that would divorce them if they ever even contemplated a vacation without them. One of my best friends wife made the rule that he could go alone anywhere he could drive too but if it involved a plane flight it was off limits. I never understood that logic.

Images
    3 grand!? i went to costa rica with a friend and it cost us 1000 total. not each, total including boards, flight, and hotel! no need for an all inclusive

Quote Originally Posted by mexsurfer View Post
    3 grand!? i went to costa rica with a friend and it cost us 1000 total. not each, total including boards, flight, and hotel! no need for an all inclusive
    he didn't mention the other "recreational" activities lol!

surf trip is not a vacation its a surf trip!

Quote Originally Posted by surfsolo View Post
    he didn't mention the other "recreational" activities lol!
    Thatstough to do when airfare is over 500 and rental car between two guys.. I traveled for less than a grand a few times to PR and CR but that was mid 90's tough to do now