LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,771
    I'm about to get married and will probably find myself in a similar situation one day. But luckily, my fiance understands my needs and she encourages me to go surf whenever I tell her there is potential swell out there. She actually bought me my last long board, and last year she bought me my SUP, so she's awesome to say the least. I know she wouldn't be fond of me flying somewhere solo for a week long trip, but the thing is, she prefers to go with me everytime, even though she doesn't really surf, she just likes to go along for the ride and hang out. As long as I don't leave her stranded on the beach by herself for 4 hours straight we're good, so i just make a day out of it and have like 3-4 sessions, and no complaints. So, my suggestion if she's not cool with the idea of you going alone is bring her with you, but just be sure to not forget she's there, cause i know how easy it is to lose track of time out there.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by havanasand View Post
    Calling the travel agent today to get some quotes.
    This profession still exists? Are you booking a seniors only cruise to Alaska or rivers of Europe cruise? I think we just figured out why you accounted $3,000 bucks for the expense!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Whaler View Post
    This profession still exists? Are you booking a seniors only cruise to Alaska or rivers of Europe cruise? I think we just figured out why you accounted $3,000 bucks for the expense!
    Was thinking the same thing, I booked a week long trip for my honeymoon the other day. We'll be staying in a private villa next to a surf shop right in Puntas / Rincon PR for less than $99/night, surf boards, tie downs, coolers, beach towels, chairs, umbrella all included. Near Marias, Domes, and Tres Palmas. Flights are super cheap through Jet Blue, we're looking at $1200 total for both of us round trip and stay.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Was thinking the same thing, I booked a week long trip for my honeymoon the other day. We'll be staying in a private villa next to a surf shop right in Puntas / Rincon PR for less than $99/night, surf boards, tie downs, coolers, beach towels, chairs, umbrella all included. Near Marias, Domes, and Tres Palmas. Flights are super cheap through Jet Blue, we're looking at $1200 total for both of us round trip and stay.
    Your gonna love that trip- I have a handful of friends that either moved to Rincon completely or have gone & worked/lived for the season for 5+ years. I went the year before last for 2 weeks and was very fortunate with swell the whole time- keep trying to get back- solid swell headed there now- wish I was.

  5. #25
    I'm not married so take this with a grain of salt.... If your lady has a problem with something like this, she doesn't trust or respect you and you have a major problem on your hands. If you have room for it in the finances, and you give her plenty of notice, and she still says no... That is effed up.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central, NJ
    Posts
    1,082
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliaep View Post
    If she gets upset, ask her if she would like to arrange a trip for herself and maybe her friends some time in the coming year.
    The difference being our trips are dedicated to surfing and exploring; their trips consist of partying and drinking.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    3,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Whaler View Post
    Your gonna love that trip- I have a handful of friends that either moved to Rincon completely or have gone & worked/lived for the season for 5+ years. I went the year before last for 2 weeks and was very fortunate with swell the whole time- keep trying to get back- solid swell headed there now- wish I was.
    Yeah man i'm stoked more than ever for this, for many reasons. I've heard nothing but good things for the most part. Hopefully it goes as planned and I catch a few days of swell, it's late October so I undestand it will be hit or miss.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    I'm not married so take this with a grain of salt.... If your lady has a problem with something like this, she doesn't trust or respect you and you have a major problem on your hands. If you have room for it in the finances, and you give her plenty of notice, and she still says no... That is effed up.
    Not necessarily. I've been married for 5 years and my wife would not be happy about me taking a week long trip and it has nothing to do with trust. We both only get 3 weeks of vacation a year with our jobs. One week is normally used visiting out of state family (holidays and such), one week gets chewed up on sick days and other misc stupid life stuff, and one week we spend together on vacation. If I said "I'm going solo this year"... whew.. not good. She also just doesn't get wanting to do things alone, like most of the GFs I've had. They always want to be around other people, always want to do things together. She would have no problem going with me however and grabbing a bodyboard and enjoying her own mini stoke.

    But hey, that's my wife. If yours lets you go without grief that's great.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ocean View, DE
    Posts
    154
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by rgnsup View Post
    The difference being our trips are dedicated to surfing and exploring; their trips consist of partying and drinking.
    So, what's wrong with partying and drinking?

  10. #30
    Been married 17 years. Working full-time and raising kids, blah , blah. In those 17 years I've surfed and traveled extensively. Some trips with the ole lady, some not. Some with kids, some not. Depends on the TYPE of trip and how much you are willing to sacrifice. In my 30s it was OK to ditch them for a trip if she knew it would require things like camping in a malaria-infested jungle and the like. Nowadays as I age, I actually WANT my wife and kids to come with me. Time on the blue marble is short and at this stage I want to spend as much time with them as I can. If it means I surf less on our trips because of family crap so be it. FIND BALANCE.