LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    A lot of times I can't get my wetsuit on, it's like this race for me to get my suit on and get out before it gets dark and I never make it in time. Man I hate those dreams, must have something to do with our internal fear of missing a good swell or something
    I've been having those dreams my whole life. They never go away. And I think you nailed it... They say dreams are about your hopes or fears. It's that haunting feeling of missing surf that plagues us all to our soul.

And not being able to get you suit on... does it feel like you're moving in clay? Punch a ball of clay and it doesn't make a deep dent. Poke it slowly wit your finger and it goes way deep. In my dreams the harder I try to move, the slower I get.

So... what do you thing that means? I think it means... "don't try too hard. Just let it be what it is. You can't make there be waves... they come when they come."
    Last edited by LBCrew; Mar 29, 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    So... what do you thing that means? I think it means... "don't try too hard. Just let it be what it is. You can't make there be waves... they come when they come."
    That's a solid interpretation man. I definitely have the same problem where the more I fight and try to hurry to get out there, the harder it gets and the slower I go. It's like I'm literally chasing the swell, running around like mad to find my suit or board.

I think, as East coast surfers, we fear missing that one rare, perfect day and that fear is being portrayed through our dreams. Instead of fighting it we need to embrace the fact that we can't force it, we will miss good days and we just have to accept it. We need to enjoy the days we do get to surf rather than dwell on those swells we miss.

Images
    Exactly the way it is in my dreams. I always get stuck putting my suit on or i constantly make stops before getting to the beach and then it goes dark...

Good comment RobG. That's some heavy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    Exactly the way it is in my dreams. I always get stuck putting my suit on or i constantly make stops before getting to the beach and then it goes dark...

Good comment RobG. That's some heavy stuff.
    To continue with the same theme...

I have the same plight as the rest of you. I dream about surfing, but it never comes together where I actually surf in the dream. Something either gets in the way, the waves keep moving around, the sun sets, etc... I figured it was because I spend a lot of time thinking about surfing, but only get out once or twice a month (living inland and all). Interesting that some of you that - as far as I know - surf much more often have the same issue. Also, the locations are always weird - rivers, waves coming down a hill, a city street, indoors.

I have these horrid nightmares where I'm paddling in a lineup all. trying to mind my business, but everyone is staring at me, giving me these dirty looks, and eying me down with the looks to kill. i feel their tension and anger, then i look down and realize I'm on a boogyboard. thats when i wake up.

I Don't dream about surfing, just some old dude telling me where the gold is, I always wake up and forget where it is. I'm the one that should be cursed, just bought a custom 9'6".

Images
    To the guys that are having the vivid dreams. Do you get to sleep in on the reg or wake up with an alarm clock. I wake up with an alarm clock before 6 each morning and I think I'm missing the dream state I could experience if I slept in more.

Anyone try lucid dreaming? Supposedly you can understand you're in a dream and take control.

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    cheese, I have had those same dreams! Where its this big long adventure to go surfing, and I never end up surfing. Usually its some really weird location, where waves don't even belong. I have had surfing where I actually ride waves too, but they are much rarer.

Have you guys seen the movie Vanilla Sky? Where the guy (tom cruise) opts into the perfect dream state, but there are some serious technical glitches. Pretty crazy movie.
    That's crazy I often have a dream like that too, where there are waves where there shouldn't be but it's always such a struggle to get there and never happens. I remember specifically before Irene came I must have been stressing the river rising in the back yard and been stoked about the waves coming because in the dream I "woke up" to find a huge perfect pointbreak wave reeling off the bend in the river. The same, exact geography that is really out there. That's about 10 miles inland. The brain is crazy.

I can't believe so many people have the same dream as I do. Super perfect surf, I'm on the beach and everytime for some reason, I don't actually surf. I've been having that same dream for at least 20 years. Fustrating for sure.

Images
    It is definitely interesting to hear that this is a common dream!
    Its like the surfer's version of going to school in your underwear! or something along those lines.