LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    that product, eh, no thanks.

The topic of using a board bag = barney... i dont know about that one bro. I have like 6 boards and 2 bags. When I am about to strap one on the roof, I usually throw it in the appropriately sized bag as step 1. Why?

I don't have to worry about the straps crushing the rails, the leash blowing all around, it dripping wax onto the roof, other boards dripping / sticking to it, etc.

Also, I feel a lot better if a plain black board bag is sitting top of my car a a shopping center rather than an obviously nice and expensive surfboard.

On the beach, the board bag makes the ultimate platform if you need to change out of your wetsuit or take it off for a few minutes without lining it with sand from your feet. Your girl can throw her towl on top of it and take a nap.

After a session I can throw my stinky boots and wetsuit in the bag with the board instead of in my pretty car.

Hell, i can throw my shotgun in there and wait for some no-bag elitest to call me a barney. I mean, I conveniently brought this 6' long bag to put your body in!!!!

Bags are OK
    I'm with Lee on this one. I surf a lot, but I'm a frugal miser. I have friends like Zippy, their boards delam a lot more than mine.....

support your local ding repairers! no board bags!

Images
    I agree with Lee- I have a couple old, stinky board bags... actually keep one in the bed of my truck at all times so I can just throw my board in there and go and not worry a bout dingin up my board.

Its an interesting idea- I give the guy credit for that... maybe good for those guy who likes to spend money on the newest things...and takes really good care of there boards.. I guess it would be like a board sock, but easier to put on

Images
    i stick my board in a bag because i bungee it to the inside of my truck bed...i guess i too am a barney

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Well I never though it made someone a kook, it just showed that the board was not used regularly which usually means it belongs to someone who doesn't surf on a regular basis. On the up side I have seen guys walk down to the beach, board in bag, girlfriend in tow, that I had written off only to be surprised that were really good surfers. This has happened but not that often. I really do think that boards are like shoes and should be cared for, within reason, but nothing over the top. My car is covered in wax from a board that is in my truck most of the year sitting on my right shoulder ready to go. To each his own I guess, some people just like to keep their stuff as close to new as possible. It's the same personality that has an immaculate car that doesn't smell like a fermented urine filled wetsuit half the time and who changes the wax on their boards once every few weeks. That's cool if that's you but it's not me that's for sure.
    Fair enough. My car is by no means immacculate (I have two dogs and surf as much as I can), but it doesn't mean you don't do what you can to take care of it. No, I don't put a cover on it, but I do try to maintain it to keep it running well and clean the inside and outside from time time. I don't think a board bag indicates frequency of surfing. I don't think it really indicates anything. I've seen guys shred on pieces of crap and guys kook it out on $800 Merricks both with and without bags.

Personally, I think fixing dings is a pain especially since I live in a 1BR apt in Brooklyn and have no outside space to do that, so I keep my boards in bags to prevent dings as much as possible.

Images
    Ok, when I bought my board it was an epoxy board. I had always surfed fiberglass. The guy asked me when I bought it if I had ever owned an epoxy board. I of course hadn't. He told me not to leave it in direct sunlight because it could bubble up or maybe even explode. So I am one of the guys who brings it on the beach, mostly because I don't want to self destruct my 380 dollar purchase. I don't like dings any more than the next guy but I probably wouldnt have spent the extra money on the bag or deal with hassle of carrying it down to the beach. If I see someone with a bag I just assume its an epoxy board, even if they are a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    To each his own I guess, some people just like to keep their stuff as close to new as possible. It's the same personality that has an immaculate car that doesn't smell like a fermented urine filled wetsuit half the time and who changes the wax on their boards once every few weeks. That's cool if that's you but it's not me that's for sure.
    this isn't true at all (at least in my case). i have a bag (mostly socks) for all my boards & 2 days bags...one for my log & one for the 5'8" i keep in my truck on a regular basis. the socks help keep the "chinese wax job" from occurring b/c of the way i store my boards, prevent scratches, keeps dust from getting in the wax, provide a little extra padding when in a travel bag, & protects the board from all the other random crap sliding around in the back of my truck. my truck is not immaculate, it's got sand, mud, scratches, & a dent or 2. my wax is practically black.
    i will say, however, that i rarely roll to the beach w/ my board in a bag. it stays in the backyard if i'm biking or in the truck if i drove. the only time the bag comes to the beach is if i'm posting up for the day (which is why the log as a daybag...i usu. only do that when the surf is small & the bag is heat reflective).
    everybody has their own thing. i prefer to use bags & protect my boards from getting banged up.