LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to?

how to?

I am about to buy a used board that has ridiculous sharpie all over it. I want the board but I want the sharpie off of it. What is the best way to get permanent marker of surfboards without damaging the fiberglass??

Images
    try to lightly sand one area?

try acetone? goo-gone?

Acetone is not a good idea for fiberglass. if the board works for you, just surf it, who cares what it looks like. Or very light sanding, then paint over it with water-based paint and seal with clear coat.

Try WD40 or maybe nail polish remover

Images
    If the sharpie is on the surface, this is an easy fix..ive done it myself on a ...Lost. You need a medium grit sandpaper....150 grit might work, but if that isnt getting it done, maybe 120 grit. Too fine a grit just gums up with paint and smears it. Coarser grit will scratch up the hoatcoat and you run the risk of damaging the board. Nice light smooth sanding not too much in one spot.

If you want to make it look nice after you remove the paint (it will probably look a bit scuffed up from your sanding), wet sand the board with some 220, 320, or 400 grit, get a rattle can of clear coat and hit the whole board 2 times and shine it up, then wet sand with 600 grit.
    Last edited by mitchell; Apr 2, 2012 at 07:11 PM.

As mentioned above, sanding works, but do not use anything under 150 grit unless you are sure you can be super careful not to sand through to the cloth.

http://www.chieffirewater.com/

I've used firewater wax remover to strip paint pen art. Some of the other wax removers do not strip paint pen, but I know that firewater does. Apply liberally and rub with paper towels and it will eventually come off without having to sand your board.

Edit:
    Sorry, assumed you meant sharpie paint pens, but you probably mean sharpie permanent marker. You may have to sand, so use 150 grit or higher.
    Last edited by gallerysurfboards; Apr 2, 2012 at 07:10 PM.

Use a dry erase marker. Go over the sharpie with a dry erase and then wipe the dry erase marker off with a dry cloth. Works for me everyday.

orbital sander with 150, keep the sander moving always. Don't burn through and cut into the cloth - you'll be sorry if you do.

goo gone , stuff is pretty legit and cost just a couple of bucks