LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fixing a delam

Images
    0403121525.jpg
    heres the area of the delam

I'd cut the flap so the hinged part is along that section against the stringer. Flap it back, clean out all the dust, and lam it back down. It will look better than re-glassing, too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    I'd cut the flap so the hinged part is along that section against the stringer. Flap it back, clean out all the dust, and lam it back down. It will look better than re-glassing, too.
    so cut along the stringer side, get the loose stuff out, and put resin in there and weigh it down?
    i have an idea what your talking about, but i dont wanna mess up its my only shortboard and its in a spot that always has pressure on it, if you could give me a step by step detail that'd be awesome

Images
    Hey Mex, I just got a delam in so i took pics of everything to help you out

the blog is here which has a ton of ding repair help and board building info. http://greenlight-surfsupply.blogspot.com/

but i will post it on here as well to help other out who may want to know. Keep in mind that this is the way i do it, and not the only way to do it. i find it to be the easiest and best way for me.

First off PREP your area, it is essential and the most important part. Sand the whole area with 40 grit a few inches past your delam so later on when you lam over it will have a strong mechanical bond. than cut out your area of delam... i use a cut off wheel but a razor will work also. HEre i outline the total area to give myself reference. Here is the cut off wheel i use and you will need plier... this is what i use maybe not the best but it works Cut out your area rip up with plier.... if cut right it will come off as one solid sheet. i have two delams so i had to repeat Than mix up resin and filler (i use micro balloons or spheres just because i like the texture and ease of sanding, as well as increase in buoyancy. but Q cell or Cabosil work as well. i also add white pigment Mod-C or Surfacing wax (same thing) and MEKP/cat. fill to cover everything smoothly and once hard sand flush. than lam over as you would regualarly. i just got to the fill today but i will sand and finish tomorrow. i hope this helps. if you have any question give us a call at the shop we can hook you up! or email us.

Images
    ^^
    This is exactly how i would do it.

If you decide to go LBCREW's way, DONT cut along the stringer. Cut the glass in a semicircle but leave the stringer side of the delam still attached as the "hinge" of the flap.

Most of all, dont worry, either one will work, and neither one will damage the board so you have nothing to lose and knowledge to gain.
    Last edited by mitchell; Apr 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

Images
    If you do LBCREWS way the color will match a bit better especially for older boards that are yellowed. so depending on how you want it to look, choose either way. but i always avoid injecting resin.

Images
    alright im going to buy some more resin tomorrow and just rip it and glass it. and its gonna be covered by a trac pad so i dont really care how it looks!

Images
    Hello friends from NJ, NZ and the rest of the world. I plan on fixing a delam this weekend on a orange log. I don't have any pigment to attempt to match the color so I was thinking about glassing in a picture or something. I don't have rice paper nor do I plan on getting any. What do you recommend to avoid a large white spot on my pretty orange board?

Images
    go to an art store, find a little bottle of water based acrylic paint that matches the orange as closely as possible. A big store will have a few shades of oranges to pick from in little 4 oz bottles.

Cut out the bad glass by one of the methods described above, clean the exposed foam and sand it smooth with 150 grit or whatever you have on hand.

Paint the foam orange, let dry.

reglass the delam as you would normally.

Images
    You guys are awesome with the details. Have been putting off a delam repair, maybe I will try it.