LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    i think the answer is why would you want to rent and SUP for chest high? Id want to ride that on my best board. Also, 99.9% of the people we see SUPing are far from killing it so that's what we get our frame of reference.

Images
    I'd ride a an oak dinning room table if it was the only thing I could get "the stoke" on. I have many boards for many different conditions....I just like the feeling on the wave! I've been super stoked on thigh high waves with my 9' longboard and completely spent after surfing hours in on overhead Central America bombs. I'm completely addicted...only problem living on the east coast is...well, you guys know. Pooky wanted crack all the time and couldn't get it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    Even though, you said - screw what anyone thinks about what type of board I ride - it still sounds like you are still trying to validate your board decisions.

Who give a **** what anyone else thinks, do what makes me you happy.
    Only person to try to please is yourself.

PS. I too have shoulder problems, so I understand your rationale to protect your shoulders.
    Thank you and I agree with you, except for the part about validating my decision, that's not what this is about, I don't need any validation, i'm more hoping to open up others minds about them. And yes, the shoulder issues played a big role in my decision but that doesn't mean i've given up surfing the shorter boards either, because i'm still out there on them when the conditions are right.

Quote Originally Posted by surfsolo View Post
    What about SUP'ing Jaws??
    Seen videos of this type of thing, but I personally would never consider it in a million years, everything has it's place though.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    i think the answer is why would you want to rent and SUP for chest high? Id want to ride that on my best board. Also, 99.9% of the people we see SUPing are far from killing it so that's what we get our frame of reference.
    Valid points, for me personally when it's chest high and the wind is low, i bring both my SUP and my HP LB or my Fish, depending how my shoulders feel. I'll take a crack at both or even all three depending on how much fun i'm having. If the wind is over 15mph i leave the SUP at home.

As far as most people NOT killing it on the SUP, i think that speaks to the level of SKILLS actually needed to be able to actually SURF succesfully, hence my opinion that it's DIFFERENT and not necessarily easier or harder. For those who are still struggling to maintain control of their equipment, move down the beach and learn where nobody is at... when you are catching waves with great frequency and not falling all over yourself, then you can make your way back up the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by imperial View Post
    I'd ride a an oak dinning room table if it was the only thing I could get "the stoke" on. I have many boards for many different conditions....I just like the feeling on the wave!
    My feelings exactly.

My filter is broken so take this with a grain of salt. Short boarders don't respect anyone on a log or a SUP unless they genuinely rip on them.

SUP- I have a fried who would charge pipe on a SUP and I have surfed with people who call sets, catch one, and paddle on down to the next sand bar. No problem. BUT... the majority SUCK but think they rip because they can hog the peak on a 1 foot day. To me the average SUP rider is that fat guy who found logging even too challenging or isn't physically able to "grovel". They are a fair-weather bunch who usually stick to... the most crowded spots. Maybe they suck at golf? Maybe they bought the SUP because it was more expensive than the log. Who knows. usually that I'm still cool, right? Look at this thing! crowd. The type to strap it on the roof of their range rover.

The idea to simply respect the rules of the road and there will be no problems is great if you trust those around you. Unfortunately, when I see someone on a log or especially a SUP, I see it as a warning for my own safety because they could likely be a kook and ditch that board right on top of me. Please, prove me wrong. The world will be a better place if you do. I only have this bitter stance because of all of the human hazards that I have had to deal with resulting from this SUP boom. Long boarders have been a damn hazard as well. You guys who rip on them, more power to you.

dont get me started about body boarders...
    Last edited by leethestud; Apr 4, 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    My filter is broken so take this with a grain of salt. Short boarders don't respect anyone on a log or a SUP unless they genuinely rip on them.

SUP- I have a fried who would charge pipe on a SUP and I have surfed with people who call sets, catch one, and paddle on down to the next sand bar. No problem. BUT... the majority SUCK but think they rip because they can hog the peak on a 1 foot day. To me the average SUP rider is that fat guy who found logging even too challenging or isn't physically able to "grovel". They are a fair-weather bunch who usually stick to... the most crowded spots. Maybe they suck at golf? Maybe they bought the SUP because it was more expensive than the log. Who knows. usually that I'm still cool, right? Look at this thing! crowd. The type to strap it on the roof of their range rover.

The idea to simply respect the rules of the road and there will be no problems is great if you trust those around you. Unfortunately, when I see someone on a log or especially a SUP, I see it as a warning for my own safety because they could likely be a kook and ditch that board right on top of me. Please, prove me wrong. The world will be a better place if you do. I only have this bitter stance because of all of the human hazards that I have had to deal with resulting from this SUP boom. Long boarders have been a damn hazard as well. You guys who rip on them, more power to you.

dont get me started about body boarders...
    Same can be said for short boarders man (and I am one as well). They're are just as many if not MORE idiots / kooks on short boards in the lineup as there are loggers or SUP surfers. My point of this whole post is that it's not the board / equipment one uses, but their level of skill and etiquette used while in the lineup. I can empathize with you from the stand point that you have had numerous negative encounters just as I have, only difference is I don't PRE-JUDGE anybody for what board they bring to the water, i let their actions speak for them. You may be right about some dudes on an SUP or Log, but you couldn't be more wrong if you were referring to me or others like me.

Images
    Damn it Lee!! ..stop making me hate myself!!..boogie for life..even though im currently looking into getting an old longboard for the kids to learn on..might even stand up with them..save the big days for the boog..

10. Quote Originally Posted by imperial View Post
    I'd ride a an oak dinning room table if it was the only thing I could get "the stoke" on.