LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Any suggestions on surboard packing for flights

any advice on surfboard packing for costa rica iam traveling jet blue in june

bubble wrap top/bottom of deck, tape, pipe insulation for rails, and pad the nose and tail really well (they sell them - blocks) and make sure rocker is protected...you could do without the bubble wrap, but I am neurotic about packing my board.

Get one of those inflatable bags. I know I want one.

Images
    I would double bag my board(s) in day bags then pack into a travel bag with towels, boardshorts, rashguards, etc in strategic places like nose and tail. That seems to work well but can make the total a little heavy.

5. thanks guys a bit nervous i dont want my best boards destroyed but iam gonna super pack theese borads thanks for the advice

Images
    Save the cash and rent one while you're there..........

if youll be in tamarindo rent they have some good hpsbs

United just messed up 1 board of mine, and it was pretty good packed in there. My recommendation? Buy a used one and then sell the board back to the shop when done. That is the only way to ensure the board won;'t be destroyed. Of course, I went from Kauai to San Fran for 3 days then to NY, so it was a long few days. But I used foam on rails, bubble wrap, the whole 9 yards. United still found a way to crack the board.
    Last edited by surftb15; Apr 18, 2012 at 01:38 AM.

I just got back from Jaco and rented a nicer board than I own for $15/day. They had about 50 to choose from. Rent and save yourself the hassle and $$$. Plus you can exchange it for a different board if the first one doesn't suit you.

Images
    I have just used Pipe insulation on the rails in a board bag and have never had any major issues. It seems like the heavier- the bulkier the bag- the more it gets thrown around by the airplane ppl- so keep it light as well as packed well.

Second- dont ever bring your best board- unless you have many 'best' boards... your board will most likely either suffer from a ding somewhere along the way, theft or sun/heat damage. Bring a beater board or rent one...