LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Spell

Quote Originally Posted by andrewk529 View Post
    I have about as much concern regarding the beach closures as someone from New Jersey....Which history of the OBX? The last 50 years since automobiles became common on the islands? What about the wildlife and other indigenous peoples who proceeded the major development? I have seen the 50 or so individuals at the protests. Explain to me how closing certain sections of a beach to automobile traffic ,in an area that encompasses hundreds of miles impacts "your way of life". If you understood the ecology of the migratory birds and marine reptiles, I think you would understand the fragility and endangerment. Blue crabs? that's a rather long stretch....I am concerned about the preservation of all ecosystems, including the Chesapeake; and if the topic arose concerning it's state, I would adamantly highlight and defend certain issues.
    seeing as i own property there, i have a bit more of a concern about this than your average visitor. but that's besides the point.
    how about the fact that pea island didn't exist until it was "built" by the nps w/ dykes & levies...to attract birds that were non-native to the outer banks? that's right...these birds wouldn't even be there if not for the actions of man! or how about the fact that the area was designated as a recreation area, NOT a refuge. or the fact that the nps is actively trapping & killing the natural predators of these bird, claiming that they are invasive species, when in fact their bones are consistently found in archeological digs up & down the obx? or the fact that more of the birds that are supposedly being protected by these closures have been killed by nps rangers & associated personnel than by vacationers & residents driving on the beach combined? hell, most of the birds in question aren't even on the endangered or threatened species lists.
    the way this has been handled has been horribly heavy-handed from the outset & the science used to back up these closures don't add up.

Images
    What you are bringing up is called population dynamics; humans have completely destroyed the natural ecosystem, and management is necessary at this point in time. Have you done statistical analysis showing the before urbanization, or pre-colonial population densities of predators? Yes, birds chose roosting and nesting sites which are most conducive to their biology. I think there are faults on both sides; but to assert the rangers are inflicting more harm than locals or tourists driving around in air conditioned 4WD's is absurd. Again, the beaches are open to hiking. Get out of the car and enjoy the serenity for once, it might open your eyes. This is a circular conversation which I went into depth about a year ago. Hopefully your house floats considering the immanent inundation of the banks....

I think there are faults on both sides;
    this is true.

but to assert the rangers are inflicting more harm than locals or tourists driving around in air conditioned 4WD's is absurd. Again, the beaches are open to hiking.
    this statement shows just how ignorant of the actual situation you are. the rangers have become like cops & treat people as if they are up to no good. the beaches are NOT open to pedestrians in the majority of places that are closed. it is also possible to "tread lightly" in an ORV if one knows how to properly drive one. it's not about birds, it's not about ORVs, it's about restriction of access to traditional areas.
    you seem to have a highly distorted view of ORVs & the people who use them (particularly on the banks). they are not yahoo rednecks launching off of dunes for ****s & giggles. they are families getting off the beaten track, fishermen accessing the best spots, & surfers looking for an uncrowded peak. many of these places are NOT walkable, esp. for someone who is elderly, disabled, or a family w/ small children. use of an ORV allows them access. hiking isn't an option.

oh, & use of the phrase, "immanent inundation of the banks" [sic] is alarmist. yes, the banks are moving. just like every other barrier island in the world. only a fool would build beachfront there. but i'm not a fool. yes, one day my property will be beachfront. but that is not during my lifetime.

Images
    i hate to inform ya boys but the Chesapeake bay is pretty much a dead zone already. once they fish out all the remaining menhaden fish, the whole ecosystem is pretty much lost. there's already too much pollution in it to be sustainable anymore. if your curious at why i'm making this claim, go read the book Fight for the Bay by Howard Ernst. It's pretty revealing stuff.

andrew,typical enviro,junk science,no clue what is actually going on there.you are wrong in so many places it's not even worth wasting time going through it.it's money and power,not birds or turtles.audubon,selc,defenders of wildlife,nps are money-making political machines in bed together with their righteous,unassailable cause.stop those animal killers in their gas-guzzlers!no,take away all the free land left in the u.s..you,andrew,in your self-righteous caring for the planet did not do your homework.there is no peer-reviewed science supporting any of the claims shutting down access,closed to PEDESTRIANS,too,you blind,ignorant,uninformed know-it-all.shut up and go look it up.island free press,Hatteras.

Images
    First of all the portions which are closed to pedestrians are temporary. Secondly, I have seen the destruction first hand of the nesting grounds. I claim no sense of self righteousness other than a biology degree and an sense of appreciation of nature. I apologize if you are unfamiliar with climate science or scientific journals; the information is there regarding sea level rise. Mortality is a facet of life and must be recognized; not everyone can climb a mountain ; should we put gondolas up to every peak? Or foster the use of wave jets for people who can't swim? And yes, you can hike out to the point if you tried; it's not that hard even with surf fishing gear.Rangers are there to police the National Park; of course they will act like LEOs.
    Last edited by andrewk529; Apr 12, 2012 at 04:34 PM.

It exacerbates the erosion process
    It does not exacerbate beach erosion. too much time talking with the DEP and all of their made up BS rules about that one.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SJerzSrfr View Post
    It does not exacerbate beach erosion. too much time talking with the DEP and all of their made up BS rules about that one.
    Can you cite your source?

Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    i hate to inform ya boys but the Chesapeake bay is pretty much a dead zone already. once they fish out all the remaining menhaden fish, the whole ecosystem is pretty much lost. there's already too much pollution in it to be sustainable anymore. if your curious at why i'm making this claim, go read the book Fight for the Bay by Howard Ernst. It's pretty revealing stuff.
    Agreed. They said that about the rockfish before they became extinct....oh wait

you are a liar,andrew.the point's been closed to pedestrians a lot,including at this present moment,and no evidence supports your other lies,like the 'first-hand' witness b.s..it's just not at all true.you enjoy lying.