LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Spell

Images
    I took up kitesurfing. Gets me through almost any flatspell.. here's from last night: photo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    I think he is talking about WB, not OBX. And yeah, real barrel days in WB / Emerald Isle/ and the like are pretty rare. Now, southern outer banks... errrrrr yeah
    Keep spreading the word man!

THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO PLACES TO GET BARRELED WITHIN AT LEAST 60 MILES OF WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH--NO REASON TO GO THERE, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!! hehe

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    good, go fight for beach access restrictions out there; the outer banks have enough problems.
    Obviously you're not sound in your position; if you are too lazy to actually walk a few miles, then you probably shouldn't be surfing. Unfortunately,if the current USGS projections hold, the OBX will pretty much be gone in about 15-20 years. It is sad to see the significant disconnect between the appreciation of nature and a few biased individuals. If you truly are concerned about the OBX, why would you drive all over the beaches? It exacerbates the erosion process, pollutes the beaches and harms the wildlife.
    Last edited by andrewk529; Apr 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewk529 View Post
    Obviously you're not sound in your position; if you are too lazy to actually walk a few miles, then you probably shouldn't be surfing. Unfortunately,if the current USGS projections hold, the OBX will pretty much be gone in about 15-20 years. It is sad to see the significant disconnect between the appreciation of nature and a few biased individuals. If you truly are concerned about the OBX, why would you drive all over the beaches? It exacerbates the erosion process, pollutes the beaches and harms the wildlife.
    Let me get this straight. You live in Delaware but you want to tell people on the OBX they should change the way of life they have lead for almost the entire history of the OBX--the life that has supported local families for generations? The most obvious hole in your mentality over this is the FACT that the OBX have been moving inland since the moment they shoaled up out of the ocean! And to think you are supporting the closure of a majority of accessible beach because some bird barely indigenous to the area decided to nest there! On top of all that, you have to mention "harming" the wildlife. Well, the only recorded deaths of wildlife in the closed areas are from the game wardens, plus habitat is developing on the closed areas that has never been there before--bringing in a large fox population (that has never been there before) THAT FEEDS ON THE "ENDANGERED" BIRDS!

You should worry about the problems in your own state, like the pollution in the Northern Chesapeake, the striper poaching, your depleted blue crab stocks, etc.

Watch this too:
    http://vimeo.com/14696293

It's a video of the LOCALS that rely on the resources of the island they live on to survive. Next time you're down, go let one of them know about your feelings on the issue. Let them know where you are from too.

(sorry to derail the thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Let me get this straight. You live in Delaware but you want to tell people on the OBX they should change the way of life they have lead for almost the entire history of the OBX--the life that has supported local families for generations? The most obvious hole in your mentality over this is the FACT that the OBX have been moving inland since the moment they shoaled up out of the ocean! And to think you are supporting the closure of a majority of accessible beach because some bird barely indigenous to the area decided to nest there! On top of all that, you have to mention "harming" the wildlife. Well, the only recorded deaths of wildlife in the closed areas are from the game wardens, plus habitat is developing on the closed areas that has never been there before--bringing in a large fox population (that has never been there before) THAT FEEDS ON THE "ENDANGERED" BIRDS!

You should worry about the problems in your own state, like the pollution in the Northern Chesapeake, the striper poaching, your depleted blue crab stocks, etc.

Watch this too:
    http://vimeo.com/14696293

It's a video of the LOCALS that rely on the resources of the island they live on to survive. Next time you're down, go let one of them know about your feelings on the issue. Let them know where you are from too.

(sorry to derail the thread)
    yep, thats our Andrew. always full of opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewk529 View Post
    i am VERY sound in my position. this thing isn't about the birds & you know it. anyone who thinks it's actually about protecting birds is a fool.

BTW, Andrew--the next time you eat "local" blue crabs up there in DE and revel in their deliciousness, thank us down here in NC because that is really where they are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i am VERY sound in my position. this thing isn't about the birds & you know it. anyone who thinks it's actually about protecting birds is a fool.
    My brother!

Images
    I have about as much concern regarding the beach closures as someone from New Jersey....Which history of the OBX? The last 50 years since automobiles became common on the islands? What about the wildlife and other indigenous peoples who proceeded the major development? I have seen the 50 or so individuals at the protests. Explain to me how closing certain sections of a beach to automobile traffic ,in an area that encompasses hundreds of miles impacts "your way of life". If you understood the ecology of the migratory birds and marine reptiles, I think you would understand the fragility and endangerment. Blue crabs? that's a rather long stretch....I am concerned about the preservation of all ecosystems, including the Chesapeake; and if the topic arose concerning it's state, I would adamantly highlight and defend certain issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    And to think you are supporting the closure of a majority of accessible beach because some bird barely indigenous to the area decided to nest there! On top of all that, you have to mention "harming" the wildlife. Well, the only recorded deaths of wildlife in the closed areas are from the game wardens, plus habitat is developing on the closed areas that has never been there before--bringing in a large fox population (that has never been there before) THAT FEEDS ON THE "ENDANGERED" BIRDS!
    The Audobon Society in NE FL wanted a section of beach closed to driving and public access, but when they surveyed the restricted area for their research, the Society members got tired and requested the park staff to provide vehicle assistance for them to get around the beach lol