LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Thumbs down What is the reason for the extreme level of attitude along the southern west coast?

    This post was my first and last. I found the experience less than informative.

    I grew up surfing on Pensacola Beach: I gave up the sport and gave away all my boards over 12 years ago upon finding myself moving to the flattest coast in pursuit of a better economic situation.

    Last May I made an error while vacationing on Pensacola Beach. I surfed for an entire week and consequently reawakened a long repressed desire within myself, the unquenchable desire to ride waves and to pass on the joy of the afore mentioned sport to my 12 year old daughter.

    Imagine my surprise when I paddled out for the first time in southwest Florida into knee high wind slop to find an attitude reminiscent of that which one might expect at some world class break! I was honestly floored, jaw agape, as it were.

    On April 5, 2012 I surfed in waist to shoulder high ground swell at Juno Pier with offshore conditions. While the main peak was tense the locals behaved in a civilized and over all respectful manner toward fellow surfers. The only incident I observed occurred when a fisherman purposely set his hook into a surfers leg. Literally on the flip-side. The next day I paddled out beside Naples pier into blown-out ankle high crap, no doubt evidence of an unbridled addiction. What did I find but an assemblage of the rudest, self-important "kooks" one could imagine. I do not use the term "kook" to disparage their surfing abilities, which I freely admit outstrip my own, only the atmosphere which by their own choice they created. I am sure that, given an open face, one or two would impress most, and it just so happens that these were the instigators of this self-same idiocy. Can anyone imagine the stupidity of coming to blows over surf of such low quality?

    I suppose my docility is a product of age, as I ran with a rough crowd in my youth.

    What is the reason for the extreme level of attitude along the southern west coast?

    Surfing is, or so I thought, supposed to be about having fun! No-doubt I should brace myself for an onslaught of childish retorts, but what is in the line-up must necessarily start on dry land!
    Last edited by J Shawn; Apr 14, 2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: general response

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lo-EZ-Anna
    Posts
    127
    Images
    5
    ,,,a fisherman intentionally hooking someone.

    That fisherman would be dead; seriously.

  3. #3
    I nearly got hooked whitewater kayaking in BC. Did it on purpose...saw me coming down the creek...waited...waited and then cast directly at me. Bastard.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Treasure Coast
    Posts
    180
    Images
    38
    I got hooked by a fisherman in VB once ..northside of the pier..we almost came to blows but were stopped by the cops....sad thing is this behavior is at any or most spots..if they want to be miserable let them...tell them if your not happy just wait untill you are and stay that way..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by J Shawn View Post
    I grew up surfing on Pensacola Beach: I gave up the sport and gave away all my boards over 12 years ago upon finding myself moving to the flattest coast in pursuit of a better economic situation.

    Last May I made an error while vacationing on Pensacola Beach. I surfed for an entire week and consequently reawakened a long repressed desire within myself, the unquenchable desire to ride waves and to pass on the joy of the afore mentioned sport to my 12 year old daughter.

    Imagine my surprise when I paddled out for the first time in southwest Florida into knee high wind slop to find an attitude reminiscent of that which one might expect at some world class break! I was honestly floored, jaw agape, as it were.

    On April 5, 2012 I surfed in waist to shoulder high ground swell at Juno Pier with offshore conditions. While the main peak was tense the locals behaved in a civilized and over all respectful manner toward fellow surfers. The only incident I observed occurred when a fisherman purposely set his hook into a surfers leg. Literally on the flip-side. The next day I paddled out beside Naples pier into blown-out ankle high crap, no doubt evidence of an unbridled addiction. What did I find but an assemblage of the rudest, self-important "kooks" one could imagine. I do not use the term "kook" to disparage their surfing abilities, which I freely admit outstrip my own, only the atmosphere which by their own choice they created. I am sure that, given an open face, one or two would impress most, and it just so happens that these were the instigators of this self-same idiocy. Can anyone imagine the stupidity of coming to blows over surf of such low quality?

    I suppose my docility is a product of age, as I ran with a rough crowd in my youth.

    What is the reason for the extreme level of attitude along the southern west coast?

    Surfing is, or so I thought, supposed to be about having fun! No-doubt I should brace myself for an onslaught of childish retorts, but what is in the line-up must necessarily start on dry land!
    If you spoke with this same type of snobby over-educated attitude out in the lineup its no surprise you got the stink eye out there bro.. Just because you have the education and the vocabulary doesn't mean it is appropriate for every crowd.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    If you spoke with this same type of snobby over-educated attitude out in the lineup its no surprise you got the stink eye out there bro.. Just because you have the education and the vocabulary doesn't mean it is appropriate for every crowd.
    its this attitude that is to blame for the US being like 45th in the world for education standards.
    "I object, he broke my house, and he talks like a ***"

  7. #7
    There was an all out war at Sebastion Inlet in the 70's between surfers & fusherman. Some fishermen would through weights at surfers. Some surfers took razor blades out & cut lines. One of the best ones I heard was a surfer dumping a fisherman's tackle box on the rocks. Led to fights, police, etc- eventually cooler heads prevailed.

    Shawn, be patient. I came back after a 23 year career in the Army. Had all the desire, but just did not have the abilty I did in my 20's. Today, I am just happy just to be out on a decent day- I avoid crowds, but when I am in one, I do my best to avoid conflict. Assateaque can get a little intense on a good day. Kills me when the pack of young guys hang out inside of the lineup & almost dares anyone catching a wave farther out to avoid them. I guess there are only so many sardines fit in the can.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    405
    I surfed for an entire week and consequently reawakened a long repressed desire within myself, the unquenchable desire to ride waves and to pass on the joy of the afore mentioned sport to my 12 year old daughter.
    reallly jrope??? That is the best way to word that?! The fact of the matter is that this is a thread on a surf forum and not a college essay. I don't mean to sound like a bad guy here, but when someone uses this kind of language it doesn't give me the impression that they are smart. It gives me the impression that they want you to think they are smarter then they are. I bet you anything that the OP spent an hour proof-reading this thread before he hit the "post" button. This thread would have been perfectly plausible if this were a forum full of english professors. And I'm sure they would all take you as a well educated man, but with the situation being as it is your more likely to be taken as a jackass..
    Last edited by idsmashh; Apr 8, 2012 at 01:24 AM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    I don't mean to sound like a bad guy here, but when someone uses this kind of language it doesn't give me the impression that they are smart.
    You don't sound like a bad guy, just an idiot. Or maybe you are a bad guy and you're jealous? If he has a large vocabulary why not use it?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The marshlands, carolina
    Posts
    52
    limited resources, too many people trying to cash in on the latest fad. the more mice you put in the maze, the more aggressive they become toward each other for the space.
    people are no different. please ignore the less educated; example "fisherman through,"
    the word should be throw. people this is basic english.