LOGIN | REGISTER

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Long Beach NY state of affairs since ASP Tour Contest

    As a long time local surfer who thoroughly enjoyed the ASP tour this past Sept is it me or have crowds increased exponentially since the contest has come and gone. Knowing my history and owning a place in Rincon, Puerto Rico, I realize that this is what happened to that town too back in 1968 bringing it from a sleepy fishing town to a surfers paradise overnight (there are still some remnant hippies leftover there from 44 year ago) and while I can't complain about that I am sure their locals could! Any other long beach guys notice the spike in crowds since the contest as well or anyone experience this anywhere else in the world have input, is it transient or in your opinion will it have more of a long term effect (like Rincon, PR) , if so I will put my house here up for sale sooner rather than later. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by neptunehui; Apr 19, 2012 at 01:16 AM.

  2. #2
    Yea, it's getting more crowded for sure. The good thing though for you (not for me) is that home prices have gone up. Summer rentals are also sky high in Long Beach now. Hold on to your place for a little longer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Long branch
    Posts
    664
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by neptunehui View Post
    Knowing my history and owning a place in Rincon, Puerto Rico, I realize that this is what happened to that town too back in 1968 bringing it from a sleepy fishing town to a surfers paradise overnight (there are still some remnant hippies leftover there from 44 year ago) and while I can't complain about that I am sure their locals could!
    as much as it seems the locals hate the crowds, if it wasnt for the tourists they would be living in shacks. i saw this in nicaragua too. thats how the local surfers made money, renting boards and surf lessons. but yea here even in nj it has nothing to do with the contest but the last 3 years the crowds have been getting ridiculous. i remember even 2 winters ago surfing a perfect chest high sunny day with one other person. now chest high close outs and theres 15 kooks out

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mexsurfer View Post
    as much as it seems the locals hate the crowds, if it wasnt for the tourists they would be living in shacks. i saw this in nicaragua too. thats how the local surfers made money, renting boards and surf lessons. but yea here even in nj it has nothing to do with the contest but the last 3 years the crowds have been getting ridiculous. i remember even 2 winters ago surfing a perfect chest high sunny day with one other person. now chest high close outs and theres 15 kooks out
    Better wetsuits

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,335
    Images
    23
    invest in surf shops...other than that revolt against surf comps in your area

  6. #6
    I am not revolting against comps I said I thoroughly enjoyed the contest just WONDERING if anyone else saw a spike in the crowds since the tour. I surfed a chest high Sunday in freezing March recently with over 50 guys out at a fairly well known spot, that is an increase for this area undoubtedly especially given the cold temps and time of year

  7. #7
    Also I definitely support all the local shops in my area by only buying from them (nothing online even if the price seems better)I bought the most expensive winter wetsuit on the market(Patagonia) this past winter(and freaking love it) and have purchased 3 brand new surfboards in the last 2 years from all 4 local surf shops in the area.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Carolina Beach
    Posts
    843
    Images
    1
    I definitely noticed an increase in people in the water this winter compared to last. Maybe it's because it was much warmer than last year but there seemed to be a handful of guys out at every jetty when we got swell this year.

    I wonder if the surfing population is going to continue to grow until every spot is overcrowded. There are only so many waves to go around, will there eventually be too many surfers in the world for the amount of waves?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    Better wetsuits
    ^This + a warm winter had a lot to do with it I'm sure. Also, the lack of waves we've had is probably causing people to make sure they get on it if there is anything out there.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manasquan
    Posts
    303
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by neptunehui View Post
    Also I definitely support all the local shops in my area by only buying from them (nothing online even if the price seems better)I bought the most expensive winter wetsuit on the market(Patagonia) this past winter(and freaking love it) and have purchased 3 brand new surfboards in the last 2 years from all 4 local surf shops in the area.
    You sir are a good man.