LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how old to start?

My son's 8 and has been wanting to learn to surf, since I only came to it as an adult I was wondering if anyone has tips on getting kids started (I know not to take him to a spot where he would be in the way etc)? especially what type of board? he's pretty lite weight.

asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a funboard from the 7-8 ft range is manageable. A longboard is so freakin floaty for a little kid.

Images
    ^^ yup, I started when I was 8, its a good age

I started at 7. Don't take wonton's advice, get him a 5'4" fish or something like that with decent volume--it will still be a boat to him but at least he will have enough mass to control it.

yea man erocks right get the little brotha a small fish cus hes prob pretty damn small. wish i started surfin at 8 thats rad your teachin yo son to surf. Tell the little brotha i say good luck form surfin_nigg!!

I started my 7 year old son on a 6'2" X 20 1/2. This board was also thick. It provided plenty of float and was very stable for him. After 2 (summer) seasons he moved to a 6'0" x 19 1/8 x 2 3/8 Flyer. This board was still stabile and floaty for him but with much less weight he could handle it better. Regardless of what board he starts with, don't push to a smaller/higher perfomane board until he is ready. It needs to be fun for him to keep up with it.

Get him started ASAP... I'd push him into a few on a foamy on a "flat" day for starters. It's kinda like training a dog... you don't want to start off making him gunshy. No bruises, no dings, no crying... all fun. Make sure you take him out for ice cream when you're done!
    Last edited by LBCrew; Apr 23, 2012 at 02:48 PM.

8. funboard --> fish ---> groveler ---> HP shortboard

FIrst you will want to start him out on a 7'4 funboard for him to get his bearing. give him some land training and padeling tips. onces hes solid catching waves on his own on that and taking them down the line youll want to move him onto a fish for him to start geting more advanced and start doing manuvers. after that id say get a groveler, something like a shortboard but with a little more mass like a CI Dumpster diver or something like 5'4x19x2 1/4 after that go to a shortboard

Asap for sure. Started my son at 5 on a soft board with the hard skin bottom and flexible fins. Made by surftech I think. like LB says, he can't get hurt as easy. I got him the 6 ft shorty that is floaty as heck. I even rode it one day just to see how it was. It rode pretty decent. The 7 ft would be perfect for your son IMO. Here's Dannycito on our local break of sunset beach, Treasure Island. Oh yeah, don't let him watch shark week or Jaws. Scared him out of the water for 6 months lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Get that kid in the water it will be the best thing you ever did for him.