LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dent in deck

Images

Lightbulb Dent in deck

Hey, I have a dent in the deck of my 6'2" Fackton, itís growing too! How can I fix this? when the board is air temp the fiberglass is de-laminated from the foam underneath, and when I go out and surf it seems like the fiberglass attaches again, not sure whatís going on with it but it needs to be fixed this is my second board that has done this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Hey, I have a dent in the deck of my 6'2" Fackton, itís growing too! How can I fix this? when the board is air temp the fiberglass is de-laminated from the foam underneath, and when I go out and surf it seems like the fiberglass attaches again, not sure whatís going on with it but it needs to be fixed this is my second board that has done this.
    I assume there is a crack near the stringer, yes? Or is it a water tight delam??

Images
    In short, fiberglass does NOT re-attach itself, regardless of the conditions. If the cracks are through the surface hot coat, you need to insure that the cracks are sealed or the de-lam condition will increase every time water gets under the glass.

Is Fackton a local shaper? Better take it back to him. Where the bubble is where you ram your knee into the deck on a duck dive, get up on your knee before you stand up (tripod) or you are a fish killer (stomping like a madman). If the board is EPS/epoxy then the bubble will grow when the board is out of the cold ass water and warm - the air inside the board heats and expands. Put it back in cold water the air inside cools and contracts and the bubble goes away. PU boards don't generally do that much but they can. Better get a board made with a heavy patch where your hole is (most of the time that only helps a little) and use your foot to push the tail down on a duckdive, not your knee or every one of your boards will do this. I love tail traction because I can put my toes on the tail block part to kick it down deep.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfsolo View Post
    I assume there is a crack near the stringer, yes? Or is it a water tight delam??
    It hasent goten to the stringer yet but thats what happened to my old al merrck pod, the dent is on the move towards the stringer. and it is water tight there are no cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean View Post
    Is Fackton a local shaper? Better take it back to him.
    Where the bubble is where you ram your knee into the deck on a duck dive, get up on your knee before you stand up (tripod) or you are a fish killer (stomping like a madman).
    yes he is but im not sure where he is located i bought it second hand, and the board is where my knee is hitting when i duck dive i will try to use my back foot more on my trac pad
    Last edited by Eastend; Apr 23, 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Images
    You need to fix that before you start doing real damage to your board. Delams are not the worst things to fix, but if you don't want to try it I'm sure we can help you find a local place to help fix it. I am in Nj if you are ever down this way I will help you. Good luck.

It hasent goten to the stringer yet but thats what happened to my old al merrck pod, the dent is on the move towards the stringer. and it is water tight there are no cracks.

yes he is but im not sure where he is located i bought it second hand, and the board is where my knee is hitting when i duck dive i will try to use my back foot more on my trac pad
    Then syringe method should work for you. GL!

I'm guessing it's a Faktion (not Fackton) and he's local shaper on Long Island. http://www.faktionsurfboards.com/

I don't know where you're located, Eastend, but if it's in that area, he does ding repair as well. I don't know him personally, but I've heard good things about him. Also, if you're familiar with Pilgrim Surf Shop in Brooklyn, he does all the ding repairs for them if that's a better location for you.

Either way, you should get that taken care of sooner rather than later if it is expanding. Good luck.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    I'm guessing it's a Faktion (not Fackton) and he's local shaper on Long Island. http://www.faktionsurfboards.com/

I don't know where you're located, Eastend, but if it's in that area, he does ding repair as well. I don't know him personally, but I've heard good things about him. Also, if you're familiar with Pilgrim Surf Shop in Brooklyn, he does all the ding repairs for them if that's a better location for you.

Either way, you should get that taken care of sooner rather than later if it is expanding. Good luck.
    yeah sorry miss spelling there im in Amagansett it’s about an hour away do u think a local surf shop could deal with the damage?

Also im getting a new board for summer what are everyone’s opinions on types of custom boards? i want a strong one and im thinking Coil surfboards, my buddy swears by them.

yeah sorry miss spelling there im in Amagansett it’s about an hour away do u think a local surf shop could deal with the damage?
    Definitely. Delams are pretty standard repairs. Someone else on here might know of a decent shop out that way so try and search the forums, but if not, maybe someone local can chime in.