LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question on quads

So I have been surfing on a Kechele formula 4 the last few months. Took the board to Kauai, Ireland, and Rincon.

In Kauai, the board was ****ing unstable as ****. Met up with a pro, she said to not ride the board so heavy front footed. I did that, and that seemed to work for a few hours (4 -5 foot waves in Hanalei).

The next day, I head to beach break in Tunnels. THe same **** again. Wasn't riding the board as heavy, the board was just freaking unstable (8-9 foot beach break). I swapped the fins out , for some smaller fins in the back. This worked a bit, but again,unstable off the lip.

Go to ireland, run into Carissa Moore. She puts me on these K2.1 fins, and that seems to work, but now the board doesn't have as much drive .

What is the optimum quad setup that people use? Or should Quad just be used as east coast board only?

personally, i prefer larger rear fins than the norm. on shortboard-like quads, i use the k2.1 quad rear (similar in size to a g-1000) & on my quad simmons, i use the pc-3 as back fins. that seems to provide a good amount of drive & hold, so you don't have that "unstable as ****" feeling. i'm also curious about the whole nubster thing...i'm thinking that may add a touch of stability to the set up as well.

Images
    damn. carissa moore is hot as ****!! haha. I'm actually about to get a quad for a RNF shape, any suggestions for riding it gents

Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    damn. carissa moore is hot as ****!! haha. I'm actually about to get a quad for a RNF shape, any suggestions for riding it gents
    Alana Blanchard >>>>>> everyone else.
    She surfs Tunnels and PKs in Kauai all the time. Nicest as$ I have ever seen.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
    She surfs Tunnels and PKs in Kauai all the time. Nicest as$ I have ever seen.
    hahaha damnnnnn right!! i think i would need to change my boardies if she ever did a bottom turn in front of me...

Quote Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
    nothing to add about quads, but for alana "soooo hot, want to touch the hiney..... ooowwwwwuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh"

Images
    Keep in mind that it is not only about fin setup but also about fin placement. it could be that the placement of the quad is not right for you. if you are sliding out your fins are probably to small, if you are not getting enough drive you fins are probably to small... although it could be determined by base, rake, height, surface area. all of these are factors for finding the right fin for you.

Quote Originally Posted by a2tall View Post
    Keep in mind that it is not only about fin setup but also about fin placement. it could be that the placement of the quad is not right for you. if you are sliding out your fins are probably to small, if you are not getting enough drive you fins are probably to small... although it could be determined by base, rake, height, surface area. all of these are factors for finding the right fin for you.
    I had no problem with the board on east coast, the extra drive was there. Anything over 5 feet though and hollow, thats a different story. I'm gonna mess around with this..won't be back in Kauai until December though.

I was using the stretch fins before.