LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well... you didn't give the length of the board or any other dims, but I would guess it's the board, not the fins. That board is best suited to smaller, east or west coast waves. The width throughout, from nose, through the middle, to tail a foot up is too wide for larger or more powerful surf. You need a narrower planing area overall for bigger/better surf.

The idea of riding it off the back foot is a good one... there's a lot of curve in the tail, which pulls in rapidly through fin area and gives you some added control, which is what is lacking when you get that "unstable" feeling. Changing fins won't address that issue adequately. It will only make it more manageable.
    Last edited by LBCrew; May 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM.

I think the dimensions of Alana Blanchard's a$$ cheeks are too narrow. If you took the rest of her body and gave her Coco's (Ice T's girl) a$$ she would be perfect. With a wider bottom you could ride her in all conditions....

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Well... you didn't give the length of the board or any other dims, but I would guess it's the board, not the fins. That board is best suited to smaller, east or west coast waves. The width throughout, from nose, through the middle, to tail a foot up is too wide for larger or more powerful surf. You need a narrower planing area overall for bigger/better surf.

The idea of riding it off the back foot is a good one... there's a lot of curve in the tail, which pulls in rapidly through fin area and gives you some added control, which is what is lacking when you get that "unstable" feeling. Changing fins won't address that issue adequately. It will only make it more manageable.
    The board was 6'8.

effing first world problems... people who surf well enough to shred 8 foot beachies complaining about the quad. Gerry would have ridden it on a 3" thick single fin. haha just ball busting....

like above, every board isnt going to work for you, no matter how well you surf. Ever consider that it is the shape and not the fins? I shaped a tri fin pin tail that I thought would be perfect in bigger surf, so I took it to Nica last year and slid sideways in every critical wave I dropped in on. I drank about a gallon of seawater learning that the board just wan't right for me. I would have been better off on my daily driver...

would much rather drop in on an 8 foot beach then an 8 foot reef break...that's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Funk/Duke of Cool View Post
    I think the dimensions of Alana Blanchard's a$$ cheeks are too narrow. If you took the rest of her body and gave her Coco's (Ice T's girl) a$$ she would be perfect. With a wider bottom you could ride her in all conditions....
    lmao...now that comment just made my day...hahaha

Images
    I have a board similar shape and size to the one in question and was having the same issue.....First.... the board is designed to be loose with the super pulled in tail so in better surf it's gonna be different unless you're used to such boards. I ride a higher volume board and like the pulled in tails to compensate for more foam. I started off with IFT M5s in the front and used several rears with no problem in average surf. First time I got into bigger, hollow surf I slid out and ate **** cause the rear was so loose........I used more fin and the board works great on big days now. I put IFT M7s in the front and standard M5s in the rear. I'm 6'1 205 so I dont know if this will help but it's worth a try if you like the board and want to keep it.
    Last edited by wave1rider65; May 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
    would much rather drop in on an 8 foot beach then an 8 foot reef break...that's just me though.
    most beachies, except for the likes of escondito, close out around 8' and become super sketchy. Then people head for the..... reefs....

So I have a Von Sol Shadow. 5'8. I use the quad fin set up along with the nubster. For Fins I use the K2.1 quad set. Works very well and does have a lot of drive. The nubster from my experience holds well. Small waves you might get a little bit of drag but waist hi and bigger it holds in great and takes the squirliness out of the tail when turning and setting an edge after a turn. I ride the nubster in wasit hi to double overhead and I am sold on the concept. I also used it on my GIPOS and where the fins normally would have slid out.. the nubster kicks into overdrive and stabilizes the tail. I have tried a bunch of fins, but for my size the K2.1 quad set works well. Hey it was designed by the world champ and proven. obviously... But its all about preference really... what works for you. Dont be afraid to experiment, but honestly unless the waves are waist high or bigger, you really wont notice a difference in any fin. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by surfsuprick2012 View Post
    but honestly unless the waves are waist high or bigger, you really wont notice a difference in any fin. Good Luck.
    well, i would disagree w/ this. i tried a bunch of different fin combos in my bing puck before settling on a pg-7/pc-3 front/rear combo & much of that testing was in surf waist high & smaller & i could definitely tell the difference between the various fin combos i rode. same w/ different fins in my longboard...10" greenough 4A is the best fin for it, & i rarely ride it in anything over waist high.