LOGIN | REGISTER

View Poll Results: What Age Did You Start Surfing?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • < 7 years old

    7 7.53%
  • 8 to 13 years old

    36 38.71%
  • 14 to 20 years old

    29 31.18%
  • 20 to 30 years old

    10 10.75%
  • > 30 years old

    11 11.83%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    293
    Images
    15

    At what age did you start surfing and on what?

    I was curious at what age most people start surfing and what the start with.

    Did you first use a body board or a surf board?

    Long board or a short board?

  2. #2
    Don't judge... 24-29 hardcore bodyboarder. Then some kid got finned, and the inlet banned bodyboards, so I evolved to stand up surfing.

  3. #3
    I got late start at 28 on 7'2" HIC big guy fish Shell Shape

  4. #4
    I started surfing when I was seven, my first board was a 6' JC Rocket Gem, I surfed on that for about four years, still got it.
    Last edited by fish66; May 4, 2012 at 06:30 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    293
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    Don't judge... 24-29 hardcore bodyboarder. Then some kid got finned, and the inlet banned bodyboards, so I evolved to stand up surfing.
    O' I'm way to awful to stand in judgement of anyone.

    I was thinking about trying bodyboarding myself. There are times in the hurricane season, where I spend an hour just trying to get out, then I'm too afraid to ride anything back in....Afraid of paddling back out and afraid of the monsters rolling in. I will never forget the first time I wiped out on an overhead wave...and I still don't have a story about how I rode one. SO I was thinking a bodyboard might be a better choice for me during those days.

    PS I've never bodyboarded before.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    293
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by fish66 View Post
    I started surfing when I was seven, my first board was a 6' JC Rocket Gem, I surfed on that for about four years, still got it.
    As a child starting, was it like an 'epiphany' or just something fun and cool to do? How long did you take you to get alright-good at it?

  7. #7
    Started surfing...maybe 7 or 8 after I fell in love with the free wednesday's surf lessons back in the day. Got my first board at 8 years old, a 5'9 cannibal fish. I started to hang out with kids 2 years older than me and were a lot better than me so I was embarrassed to surf with them, so i started to boogie board, fins and all. I kind of tried to surf the wave rather than do body rolls or whatever. When I was i think 11 or 12 I met a friend, good friend today, that was just was bad as me at surfing but we decided to get really dedicated and surf all the time. I remember surfing for like 4 hours at a time and getting like 3 waves - i guess just getting my water time in. But by the end of that summer i felt comfortable riding the line. When i was 13 it was the best year of my life. Too young to have a job (still sold newspapers in the mornin') and i'd go to the surfing beach and we had a crew of like 15 groms and we'd surf just every single second of every day no matter what. Now at 20, most of the "crew" quit due to laziness, other stuff, drugs ect. but I still remember that feeling when i was 13 having the time of my life and thats my fire today. At 14 I thought i was mister big shot and me and the boys always talked about trying to get sponsored but of course we weren't good enough. But that year was when i really could do cutbacks and little turns and even try little airs, but never making them of course. Now I just flat out rip. Ha, kidding. I like to surf. It's making other aspects of my life harder such as relationships, being called selfish (sometimes), school work (in college, an motivated to get a job), but deep down inside I am secretly forming the rest of my life around surfing. And it kind of sucks because their are a lot of other amazing things in the world, but I can't help it. I'd love to go see the beautiful hills and mountains of Montana or some BS like that, but no way in hell am I going on a trip and not surfing. helll naw

    Wow, that was one of the most sincere things I ever wrote on this. i guess because i'm doing anything to get my mind off studying managerial accounting. Sh it sucks!
    Last edited by GnarActually; May 4, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    429
    Images
    3
    Started at 8ish I think. My brother had a seven foot single fin O'Neil. 34 now. Still love surfing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    293
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    Started surfing...maybe 7 or 8 after I fell in love with the free wednesday's surf lessons back in the day. Got my first board at 8 years old, a 5'9 cannibal fish. I started to hang out with kids 2 years older than me and were a lot better than me so I was embarrassed to surf with them, so i started to boogie board, fins and all. I kind of tried to surf the wave rather than do body rolls or whatever. When I was i think 11 or 12 I met a friend, good friend today, that was just was bad as me at surfing but we decided to get really dedicated and surf all the time. I remember surfing for like 4 hours at a time and getting like 3 waves - i guess just getting my water time in. But by the end of that summer i felt comfortable riding the line. When i was 13 it was the best year of my life. Too young to have a job (still sold newspapers in the mornin') and i'd go to the surfing beach and we had a crew of like 15 groms and we'd surf just every single second of every day no matter what. Now at 20, most of the "crew" quit due to laziness, other stuff, drugs ect. but I still remember that feeling when i was 13 having the time of my life and thats my fire today. At 14 I thought i was mister big shot and me and the boys always talked about trying to get sponsored but of course we weren't good enough. But that year was when i really could do cutbacks and little turns and even try little airs, but never making them of course. Now I just flat out rip. Ha, kidding. I like to surf. It's making other aspects of my life harder such as relationships, being called selfish (sometimes), school work (in college, an motivated to get a job), but deep down inside I am secretly forming the rest of my life around surfing. And it kind of sucks because their are a lot of other amazing things in the world, but I can't help it. I'd love to go see the beautiful hills and mountains of Montana or some BS like that, but no way in hell am I going on a trip and not surfing. helll naw

    Wow, that was one of the most sincere things I ever wrote on this. i guess because i'm doing anything to get my mind off studying managerial accounting. Sh it sucks!
    That was amazing.....because it was raw and sincere. Thank you so much for sharing it with me (US ). I started last year at the age of 34. I'm still a mess in the water. I've written much about it, but is too much to share right now.....YOU SHOULD BE STUDYING!

    And the relationship thing......I knew the day I got stoked, I CANNOT/WILL NOT/ SHALL NOT/ SHOULD NOT date any non-surfer......no matter how much they say they will understand and "it's cool with me baby", they don't understand and in a very short time it will not be cool.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdirtymomma View Post
    That was amazing.....because it was raw and sincere. Thank you so much for sharing it with me (US ). I started last year at the age of 34. I'm still a mess in the water. I've written much about it, but is too much to share right now.....YOU SHOULD BE STUDYING!

    And the relationship thing......I knew the day I got stoked, I CANNOT/WILL NOT/ SHALL NOT/ SHOULD NOT date any non-surfer......no matter how much they say they will understand and "it's cool with me baby", they don't understand and in a very short time it will not be cool.
    Thanks. read this, i think the author started to surf around 34 also. http://www.amazon.com/Kook-Surfing-T.../dp/0743294203