LOGIN | REGISTER

View Poll Results: What Age Did You Start Surfing?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • < 7 years old

7 7.53%
  • 8 to 13 years old

36 38.71%
  • 14 to 20 years old

29 31.18%
  • 20 to 30 years old

10 10.75%
  • > 30 years old

11 11.83%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Ive been on a body board for my whole life..Standing up this summer year with the step girls. Ill boogie on the big days and surf with the girls on the fun days. Who knows from there?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    Thanks. read this, i think the author started to surf around 34 also. http://www.amazon.com/Kook-Surfing-T.../dp/0743294203
    Awesome, thanks.....ordering now.

I started surfing at the age of 23. I have always loved the water and on a solo cross-country drive I ended up in oceanside, Ca sitting on the beach watching all the kids in surf school. I decided that it was time to actually try surfing so I rented a foam top 7'2" and spent the entire day, and the next morning surfing the whitewater. From the first time I stood up I knew that surfing was my passion. I coundnt get enough. I got home and bought a 6'10" funboard and spent the next year on that, surfing whenever it wasnt too big. I learned the hard way that getting tossed in big surf wasnt fun but ive kept at it and now head high waves are fun! Ive only been surfing for two and a half years but ive got a few boards and im figuring out what works for me. Ive got a longboard and a few shortboards and love both aspects of it. Surfing is something that has changed my life and everything I do now revolves around it. Love at first wave I guess!

Images
    started at 10, sports were my main priority, didnt start taking it seriously until 13, then surfing was my main priority

Quote Originally Posted by yourdirtymomma View Post
    Awesome, thanks.....ordering now.
    Ive read this book, its a good read. Also check out In Search of Captain Zero by Alan Weisbecker. Both books made me want to travel, so buyer beware! Haha

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freckers View Post
    I started surfing at the age of 23. I have always loved the water and on a solo cross-country drive I ended up in oceanside, Ca sitting on the beach watching all the kids in surf school. I decided that it was time to actually try surfing so I rented a foam top 7'2" and spent the entire day, and the next morning surfing the whitewater. From the first time I stood up I knew that surfing was my passion. I coundnt get enough. I got home and bought a 6'10" funboard and spent the next year on that, surfing whenever it wasnt too big. I learned the hard way that getting tossed in big surf wasnt fun but ive kept at it and now head high waves are fun! Ive only been surfing for two and a half years but ive got a few boards and im figuring out what works for me. Ive got a longboard and a few shortboards and love both aspects of it. Surfing is something that has changed my life and everything I do now revolves around it. Love at first wave I guess!
    Quote Originally Posted by mexsurfer View Post
    started at 10, sports were my main priority, didnt start taking it seriously until 13, then surfing was my main priority
    Ive read this book, its a good read. Also check out In Search of Captain Zero by Alan Weisbecker. Both books made me want to travel, so buyer beware! Haha
    Things that make you want to travel.....and surf........movie "180 Degrees" absolute must see!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Images
    Nice.....we should chat in private some time.....I'm only just past a year surfing. I get the feeling we could really relate to each other. "Friend" me if you desire. Either way, thanks for the post......This tread is really stoking me.

Images
    @ 14, and that would be in 1964. My first board was a home-made marine plywood round pizza skim board, and my first surfboard was a 9'4" "Royal Hawaiian" pop-out by Dextra from Turco's Sport Center in Wildwood, NJ. My first real board was a 9'4" Dewey Weber. My avatar is from a trip to La Libertad, El Salvador in 1974. Drove there that summer. I was riding a custom made 7'4" Nectar Brewer style single fin mini-gun that Jay Evolcisor ordered for me and I still have it. . . not many chances to use it since returning to the East Coast though. What a hoot, I need to go back before I can't stand up anymore.

Last edited by MDSurfer; May 5, 2012 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Additional explanation

Images
    Started at 13.......1979 on an 6'2 Aipa twin fin.....Never thought much about learning to surf till I saw a guy at the beach lay back into a sweet barrel.......I said to myself, I have got to do that!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    @ 14, and that would be in 1964.
    Super sweet......I hope to be like you when I grow up