LOGIN | REGISTER

View Poll Results: What Age Did You Start Surfing?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • < 7 years old

7 7.53%
  • 8 to 13 years old

36 38.71%
  • 14 to 20 years old

29 31.18%
  • 20 to 30 years old

10 10.75%
  • > 30 years old

11 11.83%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Started at age 12 on a Fremont 6'4" single fin swallow tail "modern machine".

Started surfing at around 6, probably sometime around 1983. I grew up on WB so I had already learned to ski, kneeboard skurf and freeboard. I had a 5'6 bump swallow Natural Art twin fin with some large channels in the bottom. Rode that thing until the fins literally fell off it. My uncle was big into surfing back then, so I also had access to his quiver of longboards and 6'-7'. Those were definitely the days.

I'll never forget my dad pushing me into waves on the Jessey (~1961) shore on a yellow and blue rubber raft. Later my buddy and I chipped in for a 9'6" Dewy Weber Performer (lime green). There were no short boards or leashes. He sold me his share and went with an 8' Rick (radical short board). I have stuck with LB's. They work fine.

my first board was a 6' gary linden swallow tail i picked up at a garage sale for $30. loaded it up with sun cure to make it water tight and was good to go. i still have that board and i love it. i still ride it now and then when its not too heavy

I got a late start at 23 on a 6'6" Perfection. An oversized swallowtail shortboard style funboardy thing.

I remember my friends from school who "surfed" telling me you had to learn on a longboard first for at least a year- I said "I can ollie over a shopping cart I don't need to ride one of those things"

of course my dad had taught me how to body surf 15 years before that

Started surfing at age 13, back in 1974, on a used 7'0ish rounded pin by Challenger Eastern... single fin. And I'll tell you, a lot of the "shorboards" being made back then SUCKED. Very few board builders had shortboard design figured out, and the only thing that mattered was that it was short. Teardrop planshape with wide noses, pinched California style longboard rails, flat rockers, and vee bottoms. Horrible. Longboards, guns, and a few years later the fish were all decent riding boards, and I still get a kick out of riding them once in a while. But you couldn't get me back on that old Challenger if you paid me... it'd just be a waste of a session.

Started at 22, August 6, 1998, had been going to beach and body surfing for years and with the help of friend was goaded into a surf lesson in Delaware. Stood up on first wave and was instantly hooked. I have a picture from that day and it's one of my favorite pictures of all time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Started at 22, August 6, 1998, had been going to beach and body surfing for years and with the help of friend was goaded into a surf lesson in Delaware. Stood up on first wave and was instantly hooked. I have a picture from that day and it's one of my favorite pictures of all time.
    I put up my "moment of 1st stoke" picture......I'd love to see yours. (Wow...weird show you mine, show me yours moment)

Images
    I started when I was like 13.. I started literally out of the blue. I never was good at baseball and other school sports and one day I just woke up as a kid and said hey i wanna surf and i printed out all of lost enterpises models for that year and was picking out all the ones i wanted to buy (i never got them lol)

Images
    I started at 13 and I learned on my friend's dad's old bing bonzer that he found on the beach about a month before I used it. I'm 19 now and I'm loving it. I'm picking up my first custom board tomorrow, perfect timing with this little swell coming up!